Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Bill Dudney <bd...@apache.org> on 2006/09/14 19:18:07 UTC

j2se 5 - build successful

Hi All,

After running into the jdk 1.5 building problem a couple of days ago
and posting about it ;

http://www.nabble.com/fail-bootstrap-early-with-wrong-jdk-tf2265472.html

I decided to dig into how far away we are from being able to build
with J2SE 5. So I set out to give it a shot. And to my amazement
everything just worked :-).

Of course 'everthing' does not include the bits that rely on the Sun
ORB but the server fired up and I was able to poke around in the
console.

Anyway here is what I did to get everything building with JDK 1.5;

1) checkout a fresh copy of
   a) https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/trunk
   b) https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/genesis/trunk
   c) https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/trunk
2) delete all the geronimo stuff from my local m2 repo (rm -rf ~/.m2/
repository/org/apache/geronimo)
3) set my jdk to 1.5
4) build
   a) genesis
   b) specs
   c) remove the check for jdk 1.4 (patch attached) & build geronimo
5) start the server under 1.5
6) poke around - of course anything requiring the ORB will not work
but the other stuff I tried worked, I poked around a bit with
jconsole and the stuff running all looked 'normal' to me.

Thoughts?

TTFN,

-bd-

Re: j2se 5 - build successful

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Cool ! Unknowingly I had been building on JDK 1.5 for a while now. The
java installation on my windows decided to upgrade itself. The builds
had passed successfully but I hadn't tested the server runtime.

Recently, I downgraded my jdk back to 1.4.2 after I encountered some
build problems. The build problems turned out to be non-jdk related
anyways.

Cheers
Prasad