Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu> on 2010/09/26 18:24:30 UTC

[PLEASE TEST] Apache Maven 3.0-RC3

Hi,

in preparation for the release of Apache Maven 3.0, the Maven team is
seeking your help to discover regressions since Maven 2.x. Everybody
interested in taking a preview of the upcoming release for a test drive
can get source and binary bundles from this URL:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-014/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-RC3/

Before reporting any issues found during testing, please be sure to have
a close look at the compatibility notes for Maven 3.x:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Maven+3.x+Compatibility+Notes

If you encounter unexpected build issues, please fill a report in JIRA
that provides sufficient information to reproduce and analyze the issue:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG

The fixes contained in this release candidate since the 3.0-beta-3
release and the previous release candidates can be seen in JIRA:

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&version=13142

Thanks,

-The Maven team

Re: [PLEASE TEST] Apache Maven 3.0-RC3

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
Well, I agree that it's basically not a maven specific issue, but the thing
is the build is going completely fine with 2.2.1, but not with 3.0rc3, so
I'm trying to understand where the difference lies.

And for the record, yes, it's a xml parser problem (oracle xmlparserv2 gets
in the way). I just configured exclusions and then it builds fine.

Sure, I could leave this exclusion here and check if it's also ok with mvn2,
but I'm quite reluctant to do that since it might hide a real isolation or
classpath ordering problem imo.

Cheers

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: [PLEASE TEST] Apache Maven 3.0-RC3

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Siarhei Dudzin <si...@gmail.com>.
Just fyi, the change in classpah ordering actually helped me to find a
conflict there. Been testing RC3 since its been out - all is good so far.

Regards,
Siarhei

Posted by Siarhei Dudzin <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
Hi,

> [...]

at
at
at
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireBooter.runSuitesInProcess(SurefireBooter.java:290)
at
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireBooter.main(SurefireBooter.java:1017)
   [ERROR] Unexpected error while processing XML

2010/10/2 Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>

> Robert Scholte wrote:
>
>      [INFO] --- maven-gpg-plugin:1.1:sign (sign-artifacts) @ mojo-parent
>> ---
>>     GPG Passphrase: *
>> gpg: can't open
>> `D:\java-workspace\helios\mojo-parent\target\mojo-parent-26-site.xml': No
>> such file or directory
>>     gpg: signing failed: file open error
>>

> This is neither a bug in Maven, the Release Plugin nor the GPG Plugin but

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: [PLEASE TEST] Apache Maven 3.0-RC3

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@codehaus.org>.
Hi Benjamin,

I've tried to release the mojo-parent with Maven 3.0-RC3, but it failed:

    GPG Passphrase: *
gpg: can't open `D:\java-workspace\helios\mojo-parent\target\mojo-parent-26-site.xml': No such file or directory
    gpg: signing failed: file open error
    [INFO] BUILD FAILURE

According to the Maven 3.x Plugin Compatibility Matrix, this plugin should be M3 proof.

Running it with Maven 2.2.1 succeeded without any problem.

This parent contains a m3-profile for site-generation.

Also this project doesn't have a site, that's done in a separate project.

- Robert

Posted by Ed Staub <es...@comcast.net>.
Stephen,

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe vote every N (3?) weeks on posting the latest RC?
Waiting till you "exhaust this pool of testers" adds unnecessary schedule
risk, doesn't it?

-Ed

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Marshall Schor wrote:

> Is a workaround (until Nexus is patched), to use -Dmaven.metadata.legacy=true on
> the maven command line?

Yes.

Benjamin

Re: [PLEASE TEST] Apache Maven 3.0-RC3

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
 thanks!  -Marshall

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

On 9/30/2010 9:34 AM, Benjamin Bentmann wrote:
> Marshall Schor wrote:
>
>> The file under<version>-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml can't be read using
>> http://repository.apache.org/snapshots/org/apache/uima/parent-pom-docbook/4-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml.
>>

> r.a.o/snapshots is a group, the actual repository contains the intact file:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/uima/parent-pom-docbook/4-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml
>

>> So - it looks like RC3 is missing the namespaces declarations?
>
> The namespace declaration isn't relevant (Maven 2.x doesn't specify it
> either), the failure is due to the file's extended format, see also [0].

Is a workaround (until Nexus is patched), to use -Dmaven.metadata.legacy=true on
the maven command line?

-Marshall Schor

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
 Tried building our project (uima) - that works, but the deploy (snapshot)
deploys a broken file.

The file under <version>-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml can't be read using
http://repository.apache.org/snapshots/org/apache/uima/parent-pom-docbook/4-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml.
A build referring to this gets:

[DEBUG] Could not find metadata
org.apache.uima:parent-pom-docbook:4-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml
[DEBUG] Using connector WagonRepositoryConnector with priority 0 for
http://repository.apache.org/snapshots
Downloading:
http://repository.apache.org/snapshots/org/apache/uima/parent-pom-docbook/4-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml
[DEBUG] Reading resolution tracking file
/home/schor/.m2/repository/org/apache/uima/parent-pom-docbook/4-SNAPSHOT/resolver-status.properties
[DEBUG] Writing resolution tracking file
/home/schor/.m2/repository/org/apache/uima/parent-pom-docbook/4-SNAPSHOT/resolver-status.properties
[DEBUG] Could not find metadata
org.apache.uima:parent-pom-docbook:4-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml in
apache.snapshots (http://repository.apache.org/snapshots)

If you try that URL in a browser, it returns some message saying the file isn't
there.

(However, if you try the alternative way to get a file in Nexus: going to the url:
http://repository.apache.org , and then clicking on the "snapshot" repositories,
and then navigating to org/apache/uima/parent-pom-docbook/4-SNAPSHOT, you can
right click the maven-metadata.xml file and the repository browser pops up a
"download" button, which does work.)

A workaround is to use mvn 3.0-beta-1 - it doesn't exhibit this problem, and the
deploy to the snapshot works fine; browsing to maven-metadata.xml shows the file
in the browser.

I compared the two files in my local .m2 repos which I'm guessing are the
"local" copies that are copied up to the server: these are named in the local
repo: maven-metadata-apache.snapshots.https.xml

The files differ: the RC3 version's top XML element is:
<metadata modelVersion="1.1.0">

The 3.0-beta-1's top element is:
<metadata xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/METADATA/1.0.0
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/metadata-1.0.0.xsd"
xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/METADATA/1.0.0"

So - it looks like RC3 is missing the namespaces declarations?  (I think this is
also true for RC2).

-Marshall Schor