Posted to user@oodt.apache.org by Tom Snyder <th...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/18 18:02:39 UTC

Component Documentation

Hello,

I noticed that detailed documentation for some of the OODT components such
as PCS Input and PCS PGE is not available on the website.
I.E. http://oodt.apache.org/components/maven/pcs/input/ does not contain any
user guides or advanced documentation like it does for most of the other
components.

Is there anywhere I can look for additional information on these components?

Also, does the "opendapps" package in the source code map to any of the
listed components on the components section of the website?

Thanks!

Tom

Re: Component Documentation

Posted by "Mark A. Villanueva" <ma...@gmail.com>.
Tom,

Ive found pages 6-7 of this paper
http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/pubs/SMCIT09.pdf

to be useful for details of the PGE component

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your questions, my replies inline below:

> I noticed that detailed documentation for some of the OODT components such as PCS Input and PCS PGE is not available on the website.
> I.E. http://oodt.apache.org/components/maven/pcs/input/ does not contain any user guides or advanced documentation like it does for most of the other components.

There aren't any advanced user guides for those components (though contributions are certainly welcome! :) ). In a way, the paper here [1] that I listed for your assignment is sort of a specification/documentation for them at the moment.

The two schools of thought on this are:

1. for your assignment -- you just make do with what you were handed and use that to guide you architectural recovery and justification for your recorded design decisions
2. beyond your assignment and if you're interested in contributing any of those docs after you gain an understand of the components, all of the xdocs for those guides are located in:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/oodt/trunk/<component name>/src/site/xdoc

So, e.g.,

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/oodt/trunk/filemgr/src/site/xdoc/

> Is there anywhere I can look for additional information on these components?

The best bet is the IEEE SMC-IT paper [1].

> Also, does the "opendapps" package in the source code map to any of the listed components on the components section of the website?

It doesn't directly but I'd advise you that it's essentially a configurable marriage of an OODT profile server, reading its information from OPeNDAP servers upstream of it, and delivering their information as OODT profile metadata.

HTH,
Chris

[1] http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/pubs/SMCIT09.pdf

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.