Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Luke Q Campagnola <lc...@Mines.EDU> on 2004/12/02 19:17:02 UTC

error checking out to NFS mount

I have an odd little problem; certain directories in my svn repository can
not be checked out TO an nfs-mounted directory. I am not sure what causes
this problem, but it does not happen for everything in the repository.
Here's an example:

The /home directory on my machine (rumble) is an NFS mount. In this
example, I create a new directory and import it:

  rumble:/home/lcampagn$ mkdir test
  rumble:/home/lcampagn$ svn import test svn+ssh://seca/test

  Committed revision 124.

Now I check it back out to another location, add a file, and check it in
again:

  rumble:/home/lcampagn$ svn co svn+ssh://seca/test t
  Checked out revision 124.
  rumble:/home/lcampagn$ cd t
  rumble:/home/lcampagn/t$ touch a
  rumble:/home/lcampagn/t$ svn add a
  A         a
  rumble:/home/lcampagn/t$ svn ci
  Adding         a
  Transmitting file data .
  Committed revision 125.

So far everything seems to be working, but if I check it out again and add
a directory instead, the commit fails:

  rumble:/home/lcampagn/t$ cd ..
  rumble:/home/lcampagn$ svn co svn+ssh://seca/test t2
  A  t2/a
  Checked out revision 125.
  rumble:/home/lcampagn$ cd t2
  rumble:/home/lcampagn/t2$ mkdir b
  rumble:/home/lcampagn/t2$ svn add b
  A         b
  rumble:/home/lcampagn/t2$ svn ci
  svn: XML parser failed in '/home/lcampagn/t2'
  svn: Malformed XML: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 27

Note that this does NOT happen if I am working out of a local filesystem
such as /tmp:

  rumble:/tmp$ svn co svn+ssh://seca/test t2
  A  t2/a
  Checked out revision 125.
  rumble:/tmp$ cd t2
  rumble:/tmp/t2$ mkdir b
  rumble:/tmp/t2$ svn add b
  A         b
  rumble:/tmp/t2$ svn ci
  Adding         b

  Committed revision 126.

This problem does not only occur when I add directories to my data; I
can't find any specific trigger that causes the problem. I also have
trouble checking out directories onto NFS filesystems:

  rumble:/home/lcampagn$ svn co http://seca.thunderlab/svn/vectormath v
  A  v/DEBIAN
  A  v/DEBIAN/control
  A  v/DEBIAN/files
  svn: In directory 'v/DEBIAN'
  svn: Can't copy 'v/DEBIAN/.svn/tmp/text-base/files.svn-base' to
  'v/DEBIAN/files.tmp': No such file or directory

But again, this works fine on a local flesystem:

  rumble:/home/lcampagn$ svn co http://seca.thunderlab/svn/vectormath /tmp/v
  A  /tmp/v/DEBIAN
  A  /tmp/v/DEBIAN/control
  A  /tmp/v/DEBIAN/files
  A  /tmp/v/vectormath.h
  A  /tmp/v/vectormath.cpp
  A  /tmp/v/Makefile
  Checked out revision 127.

I have tried using both http and svn+ssh protocols, and I have also tried
using two different versions of svn (1.0.9 from Debian unstable and 1.0.6
from Ubuntu). What's even stranger to me is that I have not always had
this problem; it started recently for no particular reason (I can not
remember having changed anything that might have caused this).

Any help would be appreciated!

Luke

Re: error checking out to NFS mount

Posted by Wade Hampton <wa...@nsc1.net>.
Luke Q Campagnola wrote:

>I have an odd little problem; certain directories in my svn repository can
>not be checked out TO an nfs-mounted directory. I am not sure what causes
>this problem, but it does not happen for everything in the repository.

[snip]

>  svn: Can't copy 'v/DEBIAN/.svn/tmp/text-base/files.svn-base' to
>  'v/DEBIAN/files.tmp': No such file or directory

I have seen this as well.  My clients are RedHat Enterprise 3
workstation and RedHat 9.
My server is RedHat 7.3 with updates.  I am using Subversion 1.1.1.
Our repository (E)
is about 20M when fully checked out.  This is not reliably reproducable
so most of the time
we check out to our local directories.  Please let me know if you find a
solution.
--
Wade Hampton