Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "arvind@cloudera.com" <ar...@cloudera.com> on 2011/06/08 05:39:26 UTC

[VOTE] Accept Sqoop for Incubation

As there are no active discussions on the [PROPOSAL] thread for a few
days now, I will like to initiate the vote to accept Sqoop as an
Apache Incubator project. The proposal discussion thread and full text
of the proposal can be found at the following locations:

Discussion Thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg27726.html
Proposal: http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SqoopProposal

Please cast your votes:

[  ] +1 Accept Sqoop for incubation
[  ] +0 Indifferent to Sqoop incubation
[  ]  -1 Reject Sqoop for incubation

This vote will close 72 hours from now.

Thanks and Regards,
Arvind Prabhakar

Re: [VOTE] Accept Sqoop for Incubation

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.
+1

-Nigel

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 06/08/2011 04:39 AM, arvind@cloudera.com wrote:
> As there are no active discussions on the [PROPOSAL] thread for a few
> days now, I will like to initiate the vote to accept Sqoop as an
> Apache Incubator project. The proposal discussion thread and full text
> of the proposal can be found at the following locations:
>
> Discussion Thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg27726.html
> Proposal: http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SqoopProposal
>
> Please cast your votes:

[ +1  ] +1 Accept Sqoop for incubation

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

cool project, if everything turns out well, I will surely need it in
future. Go go go! ;-)

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: [VOTE] Accept Sqoop for Incubation

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
+1

Niall

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
+1!

cheers,

Leo

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 4:39 AM, arvind@cloudera.com <ar...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> As there are no active discussions on the [PROPOSAL] thread for a few
> days now, I will like to initiate the vote to accept Sqoop as an
> Apache Incubator project. The proposal discussion thread and full text
> of the proposal can be found at the following locations:
>
> Discussion Thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg27726.html
> Proposal: http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SqoopProposal
>
> Please cast your votes:
>
> [  ] +1 Accept Sqoop for incubation
> [  ] +0 Indifferent to Sqoop incubation
> [  ]  -1 Reject Sqoop for incubation

Pasting wiki page below for archival/reference:

= Sqoop - A Data Transfer Tool for Hadoop =

== Abstract ==

Sqoop is a tool designed for efficiently transferring bulk data
between Apache Hadoop and structured datastores such as relational
databases. You can use Sqoop to import data from external structured
datastores into Hadoop Distributed File System or related systems like
Hive and HBase. Conversely, Sqoop can be used to extract data from
Hadoop and export it to external structured datastores such as
relational databases and enterprise data warehouses.

== Proposal ==

Hadoop and related systems operate on large volumes of data. Typically
this data originates from outside of Hadoop infrastructure and must be
provisioned for consumption by Hadoop and related systems for analysis
and processing. Sqoop allows fast provisioning of data into Hadoop and
related systems by providing a bulk import and export mechanism that
enables consumers to effectively use Hadoop for data analysis and
processing.

== Background ==

Sqoop was initially developed by Cloudera to enable the import and
export of data between various databases and Hadoop Distributed File
System (HDFS). It was provided as a patch to Hadoop project via the
issue [[https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-5815|HADOOP-5815]]
and was maintained as a contrib module to Hadoop between May 2009 to
April 2010. In April 2010, Sqoop was removed from Hadoop contrib via
[[https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-1644|MAPREDUCE-1644]]
and was made available by Cloudera on
[[http://github.com/cloudera/sqoop|GitHub]].

Since then Sqoop has been maintained by Cloudera as an open source
project on GitHub. All code available in Sqoop is open source and made
publicaly available under the Apache 2 license. During this time Sqoop
has been formally released three times as versions 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.

== Rationale ==

Hadoop is often used to process data that originated or is later
served by structured data stores such as relational databases,
spreadsheets or enterprise data warehouses. Unfortunately, current
methods of transferring data are inefficient and ad hoc, often
consisting of manual steps specific to the external system. These
steps are necessary to help provision this data for consumption by
Map-Reduce jobs, or by systems that build on top of Hadoop such as
Hive and Pig. The transfer of this data can take substantial amount of
time depending upon its size. An optimal transfer approach that works
well with one particular datastore will typically not work as
optimally with another datastore due to inherent architectural
differences between different datastore implementations. Sqoop
addresses this problem by providing connectivity of Hadoop with
external systems via pluggable connectors. Specialized connectors are
developed for optimal performance for data transfer between Hadoop and
target systems.

Analyzed and processed data from Hadoop and related systems may also
require to be provisioned outside of Hadoop for consumption by
business applications. Sqoop allows the export of data from Hadoop to
external systems to facilitate its use in other systems. This too,
like the import scenario, is implemented via specialized connectors
that are built for the purposes of optimal integration between Hadoop
and external systems.

Connectors can be built for systems that Sqoop does not yet integrate
with and thus can be easily incorporated into Sqoop. Connectors allow
Sqoop to interface with external systems of different types, ensuring
that newer systems can integrate with Hadoop with relative ease and in
a consistent manner.

Besides allowing integration with other external systems, Sqoop
provides tight integration with systems that build on to of Hadoop
such as Hive, HBase etc - thus providing data integration between
Hadoop based systems and external systems in a single step manner.

== Initial Goals ==

Sqoop is currently in its first major release with a considerable
number of enhancement requests, tasks, and issues logged towards its
future development. The initial goal of this project will be to
address the highly requested features and bug-fixes towards its next
dot release. The key features of interest are the following:
 * Support for bulk import into Apache HBase.
 * Allow user to supply password in permission protected file.
 * Support for pluggable query to help Sqoop identify the metadata
associated with the source or target table definitions.
 * Allow user to specify custom split semantics for efficient
parallelization of import jobs.

= Current Status =

== Meritocracy ==

Sqoop has been an open source project since its start. It was
initially developed by Aaron Kimball in May 2009 along with
development team at Cloudera and supplied as a patch to Hadoop
project. Later it was moved to GitHub as a Cloudera open-source
project where Cloudera engineering team has since maintained it with
Arvind Prabhakar and Ahmed Radwan dedicated towards its improvement.
Developers external to Cloudera provided feedback, suggested features
and fixes and implemented extensions of Sqoop since its inception.
Contributors to Sqoop include developers from different companies and
different parts of the world.

== Community ==

Sqoop is currently used by a number of organizations all over the
world. Sqoop has an active and growing user community with active
participation in
[[https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/group/sqoop-user/topics|user]]
and [[https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/group/sqoop-dev/topics|developer]]
mailing lists.

== Core Developers ==

The core developers for Sqoop project are:
 * Aaron Kimball: Aaron designed and implemented much of the original code.
 * Arvind Prabhakar: Has been working on Sqoop features and bug fixes.
 * Ahmed Radwan: Has been working on Sqoop features and bug fixes.
 * Jonathan Hsieh: Has started working on Sqoop features and bug fixes.
 * Other contributors to the project include: Angus He, Brian Muller,
Eli Collins, Guy Le Mar, James Grant, Konstantin Boudnik, Lars
Francke, Michael Hausler, Michael Katzenellenbogen, Pter Happ and
Scott Foster.

All committers to Sqoop project have contributed towards Hadoop or
related Apache projects and are very familiar with Apache principals
and philosophy for community driven software development.

== Alignment ==

Sqoop complements Hadoop Map-Reduce, Pig, Hive, HBase by providing a
robust mechanism to allow data integration from external systems for
effective data analysis. It integrates with Hive and HBase currently
and work is being done to integrate it with Pig.

= Known Risks =

== Orphaned Products ==

Sqoop is already deployed in production at multiple companies and they
are actively participating in feature requests and user led
discussions. Sqoop is getting traction with developers and thus the
risks of it being orphaned are minimal.

== Inexperience with Open Source ==

All code developed for Sqoop has been open source from the start. The
initial part of Sqoop development was done within Hadoop project as a
contrib module. Since then it has been maintained as an Apache 2.0
licensed open-source project on GitHub by Cloudera.

All committers of Sqoop project are intimately familiar with the
Apache model for open-source development and are experienced with
working with new contributors. Aaron Kimball, the creator of the
project and one of the committers is also a committer on Apache
MapReduce.

== Homogeneous Developers ==

The initial set of committers is from a small set of organizations.
However, we expect that once approved for incubation, the project will
attract new contributors from diverse organizations and will thus grow
organically. The participation of developers from several different
organizations in the mailing list is a strong indication for this
assertion.

== Reliance on Salaried Developers ==

It is expected that Sqoop will be developed on salaried and volunteer
time, although all of the initial developers will work on it mainly on
salaried time.

== Relationships with Other Apache Products ==

Sqoop depends upon other Apache Projects: Hadoop, Hive, HBase Log4J
and multiple Apache commons components and build systems like Ant and
Maven.

== An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ==

The reasons for joining Apache are to increase the synergy with other
Apache Hadoop related projects and to foster a healthy community of
contributors and consumers around the project. This is facilitated by
ASF and that is the primary reason we would like Sqoop to become an
Apache project.

= Documentation =

 * All Sqoop documentation is maintained within Sqoop sources and can
be built directly.
 * Sqoop docs: http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh/3/sqoop/
 * Sqoop wiki at GitHub: https://github.com/cloudera/sqoop/wiki
 * Sqoop jira at Cloudera: https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/sqoop

= Initial Source =

 * https://github.com/cloudera/sqoop/tree/

== Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan ==

 * The initial source is already Apache 2.0 licensed.

== External Dependencies ==

The required external dependencies are all Apache License or
compatible licenses. Following components with non-Apache licenses are
enumerated:

 * HSQLDB: HSQLDB License - a BSD-based license.

Non-Apache build tools that are used by Sqoop are as follows:

 * AsciiDoc: GNU GPLv2
 * Checkstyle: GNU LGPLv3
 * FindBugs: GNU LGPL
 * Cobertura: GNU GPLv2

== Cryptography ==

Sqoop does not depend upon any cryptography tools or libraries.

= Required  Resources =

== Mailing lists ==

 * sqoop-private (with moderated subscriptions)
 * sqoop-dev
 * sqoop-commits
 * sqoop-user

== Subversion Directory ==

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/sqoop

== Issue Tracing ==

JIRA Sqoop (SQOOP)

== Other Resources ==

The existing code already has unit and integration tests so we would
like a Hudson instance to run them whenever a new patch is submitted.
This can be added after project creation.

= Initial Committers =

 * Arvind Prabhakar (arvind at cloudera dot com)
 * Ahmed Radwan (a dot aboelela at gmail dot com)
 * Jonathan Hsieh (jon at cloudera dot com)
 * Aaron Kimball (kimballa at apache dot org)
 * Greg Cottman (greg dot cottman at quest dot com)
 * Guy le Mar (guy dot lemar at quest dot com)
 * Roman Shaposhnik (rvs at cloudera dot com)
 * Andrew Bayer (andrew at cloudera dot com)

A CLA is already on file for Aaron Kimball.

= Affiliations =

 * Arvind Prabhakar, Cloudera
 * Ahmed Radwan, Cloudera
 * Jonathan Hsieh, Cloudera
 * Aaron Kimball, Odiago
 * Greg Cottman, Quest
 * Guy le Mar, Quest
 * Roman Shaposhnik, Cloudera
 * Andrew Bayer, Cloudera

= Sponsors =

== Champion ==

 * Tom White (tomwhite at apache dot org)

== Nominated Mentors ==

 * Patrick Hunt (phunt at apache dot org)
 * Mohammad Nour El-Din (mnour at apache dot org)
 * Tom White (tomwhite at apache dot org)
 * Olivier Lamy (olamy at apache dot org)

== Sponsoring Entity ==

 * Apache Incubator PMC

Re: [VOTE] Accept Sqoop for Incubation

Posted by "arvind@cloudera.com" <ar...@cloudera.com>.
This VOTE is now closed. I will be sending out the results in a
separate mail soon.

Thanks and Regards,
Arvind Prabhakar

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
+1

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non binding)

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/>  Committer
*

Re: [VOTE] Accept Sqoop for Incubation

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
+1 (binding)

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding),

Posted by "arvind@cloudera.com" <ar...@cloudera.com>.
Welcome Paul! We are delighted to have you on the team!

Thanks,
Arvind Prabhakar

Posted by "Zimdars, Paul A (3880-Affiliate)" <Pa...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Guys,

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1 and welcome !

2011/6/8 arvind@cloudera.com <ar...@cloudera.com>:
> As there are no active discussions on the [PROPOSAL] thread for a few
> days now, I will like to initiate the vote to accept Sqoop as an
> Apache Incubator project. The proposal discussion thread and full text
> of the proposal can be found at the following locations:
>
> Discussion Thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg27726.html
> Proposal: http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SqoopProposal
>
> Please cast your votes:
>
> [  ] +1 Accept Sqoop for incubation
> [  ] +0 Indifferent to Sqoop incubation
> [  ]  -1 Reject Sqoop for incubation
>
> This vote will close 72 hours from now.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Arvind Prabhakar

Olivier Lamy
http://twitter.com/olamy | http://www.linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: [VOTE] Accept Sqoop for Incubation

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
+1 (non-binding).

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 9:09 AM, arvind@cloudera.com <ar...@cloudera.com>wrote:

> As there are no active discussions on the [PROPOSAL] thread for a few
> days now, I will like to initiate the vote to accept Sqoop as an
> Apache Incubator project. The proposal discussion thread and full text
> of the proposal can be found at the following locations:
>
> Discussion Thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg27726.html
> Proposal: http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SqoopProposal
>
> Please cast your votes:
>
> [  ] +1 Accept Sqoop for incubation
> [  ] +0 Indifferent to Sqoop incubation
> [  ]  -1 Reject Sqoop for incubation
>
> This vote will close 72 hours from now.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Arvind Prabhakar

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
Founder, Director & Chief Scientist; Lanka Software Foundation;
http://www.opensource.lk/
Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2; http://wso2.com/
Founder & Director; Thinkcube Systems; http://www.thinkcube.com/

Blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/

Re: [VOTE] Accept Sqoop for Incubation

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Tommaso Teofili
<to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 (binding)
> Tommaso
>
> 2011/6/8 arvind@cloudera.com <ar...@cloudera.com>
>
>> As there are no active discussions on the [PROPOSAL] thread for a few
>> days now, I will like to initiate the vote to accept Sqoop as an
>> Apache Incubator project. The proposal discussion thread and full text
>> of the proposal can be found at the following locations:
>>
>> Discussion Thread:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg27726.html
>> Proposal: http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SqoopProposal
>>
>> Please cast your votes:
>>
>> [  ] +1 Accept Sqoop for incubation
>> [  ] +0 Indifferent to Sqoop incubation
>> [  ]  -1 Reject Sqoop for incubation
>>
>> This vote will close 72 hours from now.
>>
>> Thanks and Regards,
>> Arvind Prabhakar

Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Re: [VOTE] Accept Sqoop for Incubation

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)
Tommaso

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
+1 (binding)

Ralph

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1 (binding).

Good luck, awesome project!

Cheers,
Chris

On Jun 7, 2011, at 8:39 PM, arvind@cloudera.com wrote:

> As there are no active discussions on the [PROPOSAL] thread for a few
> days now, I will like to initiate the vote to accept Sqoop as an
> Apache Incubator project. The proposal discussion thread and full text
> of the proposal can be found at the following locations:
>
> Discussion Thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg27726.html
> Proposal: http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SqoopProposal
>
> Please cast your votes:
>
> [  ] +1 Accept Sqoop for incubation
> [  ] +0 Indifferent to Sqoop incubation
> [  ]  -1 Reject Sqoop for incubation
>
> This vote will close 72 hours from now.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Arvind Prabhakar

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: [VOTE] Accept Sqoop for Incubation

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 11:39 PM, arvind@cloudera.com <ar...@cloudera.com>wrote:

> As there are no active discussions on the [PROPOSAL] thread for a few
> days now, I will like to initiate the vote to accept Sqoop as an
> Apache Incubator project. The proposal discussion thread and full text
> of the proposal can be found at the following locations:
>
> Discussion Thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg27726.html
> Proposal: http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SqoopProposal
>
> Please cast your votes:
>
> [  ] +1 Accept Sqoop for incubation
> [  ] +0 Indifferent to Sqoop incubation
> [  ]  -1 Reject Sqoop for incubation
>
> +1 (non-binding)

Phil

Re: [VOTE] Accept Sqoop for Incubation

Posted by Eric Sammer <es...@cloudera.com>.
+1

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Tom White <to...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1
>
> Tom
>
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 8:39 PM, arvind@cloudera.com <ar...@cloudera.com>
> wrote:
> > As there are no active discussions on the [PROPOSAL] thread for a few
> > days now, I will like to initiate the vote to accept Sqoop as an
> > Apache Incubator project. The proposal discussion thread and full text
> > of the proposal can be found at the following locations:
> >
> > Discussion Thread:
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg27726.html
> > Proposal: http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SqoopProposal
> >
> > Please cast your votes: