Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Mike Dameron <mi...@ephibian.com> on 2000/07/14 19:59:06 UTC

Apache::ASP and HTML::Parser

Has anyone used these two together?  We have developed a tool which
allows you to edit simple HTML pages within you browser using
HTML::Parser and CGI scripts.  We have been porting those scripts over
to ASP.  When testing the new scripts it appears as if it unable to
reparse the HTML file after about five to eight times.  So what we see
is the HTML page in our editing state then after reloading the page five
to eight times the HTML content is gone and never comes back unless you
touch the ASP script.

We have none of these problems when using plain old CGI and
HTML::Parser.  Any ideas on why this would be happening?

-Mike
--
Ephibian, Inc.
Evolve your e-business. Energize your startup.

Re: Apache::ASP and HTML::Parser

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Mike Dameron wrote:

> Has anyone used these two together?  We have developed a tool which
> allows you to edit simple HTML pages within you browser using
> HTML::Parser and CGI scripts.  We have been porting those scripts over
> to ASP.  When testing the new scripts it appears as if it unable to
> reparse the HTML file after about five to eight times.  So what we see
> is the HTML page in our editing state then after reloading the page five
> to eight times the HTML content is gone and never comes back unless you
> touch the ASP script.
>
> We have none of these problems when using plain old CGI and
> HTML::Parser.  Any ideas on why this would be happening?

No good ideas for you really.  Try the UseStrict setting,
which will compile all your scripts with "use strict" turned on.
This may uncover some subtle bugs that are causing you this
problem, which might be occuring because of general CGI to modperl
porting issues, with globals cached and scoping issues.

Make sure you read the guide.  Most of what you read with respect
to Apache::Registry CGI is relevant to Apache::ASP as they share
a similar compilation model under the hood, and the modperl
environment more generally.

If you would like more help, you might get me a snippet of
code that reproduces the problem.

--Joshua
Joshua Chamas			        Chamas Enterprises Inc.
NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring	Huntington Beach, CA  USA

Re: Apache::ASP and HTML::Parser

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Mike Dameron wrote:

> When testing the new scripts it appears as if it unable to reparse
> the HTML file after about five to eight times.

Tried running this under httpd -X to see what happens?

73,
Ged.