Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2001/02/28 17:39:47 UTC

APR_HAVE_SOAPBOX

<soapbox>

  Greg... looking at your new apr_xml.c

#ifdef APR_HAVE_OLD_EXPAT
#include "xmlparse.h"
#else
#include "expat.h"
#endif

  Can we all agree that APR_HAVE_FOO is _ALWAYS_ defined in terms of a boolean?

  The reason I broke so much code was grepping for APR_HAVE_ and HAVE_, expecting
  the former to be boolean and the later to be def/undef.  (Ok, that and fat fingers.)

  Not I'm not suggesting that we start populating the public space with HAVE_ symbols,
  and we don't want to conflict with other libraries' HAVE_ symbols.  But can we say
  that APR_HAS_ is a def/undef condition, and APR_HAVE_ is a boolean, expected always
  to be declared?

</soapbox>

Re: APR_HAVE_SOAPBOX

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
Oversight on my part. We specified the symbol name in configure.in, so I
slapped the APR_ prefix on there. (the HAVE_ symbols come from autoconf, so
we can't do much about it)

How about APR_USING_OLD_EXPAT? I'm not comfy with the APR_HAS_ approach
because we aren't advertising the symbol, so we aren't saying APRUTIL has or
doesn't have a particular feature.

And this is a symbol from autoheader, so #ifdef is the right form.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/