Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Sriram Varadharajan <va...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/21 12:39:48 UTC

FDF form Label recognition.

Hello All - We are using PDFBox for our fillable forms(FDF,XFA) processing
. Please see the attached small snippet below from one of those eForms as i
cannot share entire PDF for security reasons.

in our current state to identify the form which is the actually the Label
in the Lower Left hand corner that reads (ACORD 127 (2014/12)) we use
coordinates to grab a region of text and then identify the text. This is
not accurate and is kind of hit and miss .

Trying to see if i can get to the element directly using a PDField or
PDLabel or whatever. I searched through the internal of FDF form using PDF
gears and could not find any trace of the element (ACORD 127 (2014/12)) .

What is the best way to get to these labels (Identifiers) directly without
using coordinates ????? There are not under the lists of PDFields that are
on the form.

I also read  of Stack Overflow about the inability to read labels in FDF
form.

Please share if there are smarter solutions for this problem.

[image: Inline image 1]

Re: FDF form Label recognition.

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi,

> Am 21.10.2015 um 12:39 schrieb Sriram Varadharajan <va...@gmail.com>:
>
> Hello All - We are using PDFBox for our fillable forms(FDF,XFA) processing . Please see the attached small snippet below from one of those eForms as i cannot share entire PDF for security reasons.
>
> in our current state to identify the form which is the actually the Label in the Lower Left hand corner that reads (ACORD 127 (2014/12)) we use coordinates to grab a region of text and then identify the text. This is not accurate and is kind of hit and miss .
>
> Trying to see if i can get to the element directly using a PDField or PDLabel or whatever. I searched through the internal of FDF form using PDF gears and could not find any trace of the element (ACORD 127 (2014/12)) .
>
> What is the best way to get to these labels (Identifiers) directly without using coordinates ????? There are not under the lists of PDFields that are on the form.

the labels - although related to the form field for the human eye - are not part of the form field. They are regular text. What might help to get the region information is to get the coordinates of the widget associated with the form field as a hint where you have to look for a label.

BR
Maruan