Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca> on 2003/04/28 22:49:26 UTC

Re: Apache cannot load ...mod_perl.so .. module could not be found

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Rosane Novello wrote:

> I installed mod_perl with ppm and it�s seems ok.
> When I try to
>
> LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so
>
> Apache keeps showing the error:
> Cannot load C:/Apache2/Apache2/modules/mod_perl.so into server: The
> specified module could not be found.
>
> but the mod_perl.so is there. All the other modules load fine.
[ .. ]
> Characteristics of this binary (from libperl):
>   Compile-time options: MULTIPLICITY USE_ITHREADS PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT
> PERL_IMPLICIT_SYS
>   Locally applied patches:
>         ActivePerl Build 630
[ .. ]
> C:\ApacheGroup\Apache2\bin>apache -V
> Server version: Apache/2.0.44
[ .. ]
> C:\ApacheGroup\Apache2\bin>dir C:\ApacheGroup\Apache2\modules\*perl*
>
> 04/10/2002  23:01              208.896 mod_perl.so
>                1 File(s)        208.896 bytes
>                0 Dir(s)  24.449.380.352 bytes free

Thanks for the detailed info! The problem is that you're
apparently trying to use the mod_perl.so from mod_perl 1 (the
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/mod_perl.ppd package) in
an Apache2 server - Apache 1.3 and Apache 2.0 modules aren't
compatible. There's three options:

- use this mod_perl with an Apache 1.3 server,

- continue to use Apache 2.0 but get the mod_perl-2.ppd package
from where you got mod_perl.ppd; this isn't recommended, as
mod_perl 2 doesn't play nicely with Win32 ActivePerl 6xx, based
on perl-5.6.1, due to some issues with threads in perl-5.6.1,

- install ActivePerl 8xx, based on perl-5.8.0, and with your
Apache 2.0 server install the mod_perl.ppd package from
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/. Although mod_perl 2 is still
in a development phase, and the ActiveState 8xx ppm repository
isn't as complete as their 6xx repository, this may be the better
option from the point of view of performance on Win32, both on
the Apache side and the mod_perl side.

--
best regards,
randy kobes