Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ryan Daly <da...@ctc.com> on 2006/03/22 22:25:32 UTC

Run Tomcat in W2k3 as service

Has anyone successfully set environment variables for the Tomcat process
when it's running as a service?

Is it possible to start the service with the "-security" option, as in
Linux?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Run Tomcat in W2k3 as service

Posted by wolfperkins <wo...@hotmail.com>.
Not sure about your tomcat version but under 4.1 the settings may be added in
the registry under:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Apache Tomcat
4.1\Parameters]

add the following keys:
"JVM Option Number 4"="-Xms512m"
"JVM Option Number 5"="-Xms512m"

and modify the jvm options count key:
"JVM Option Count"=dword:00000006

Re: Run Tomcat in W2k3 as service

Posted by wolfperkins <wo...@hotmail.com>.
Not sure about your tomcat version but under 4.1 the settings may be added in
the registry under:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Apache Tomcat
4.1\Parameters]

add the following keys:
"JVM Option Number 4"="-Xms512m"
"JVM Option Number 5"="-Xmx512m"

Posted by Ryan Daly <da...@ctc.com>.
On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 08:58 -0500, Ryan Daly wrote:
> I have an opportunity to take the site down in a few minutes.  I'll
> quickly try setting that and post what I find.

No good.

If anyone comes across the proper options to do this, please post it to
the list.

Thanks.

Re: Run Tomcat in W2k3 as service

Posted by Ryan Daly <da...@ctc.com>.

Posted by Ryan Daly <da...@ctc.com>.
On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 13:38 +0000, Nic Daniau wrote:
> I wouldn't think so, these options are called when the service is
> launched so you would have to restart the service for this to be
> picked up.

Right, I understand that I'll have to restart the service.  But is that
the way to get the service to recognize the fact that I want the
security manager running?

Posted by Nic Daniau <ni...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Daly <da...@ctc.com>.

Posted by Nic Daniau <ni...@googlemail.com>.
You may need to reconfigure the service. Have a look to my post from a few
min ago on "*running two instances of tomcat*"

you can also update the service using e.g.

%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat5.exe //US//Tomcat5 --Description "My updated
description"

HTH

Nic

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Ryan Daly <da...@ctc.com>.

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Ryan Daly <da...@ctc.com>.

Posted by Tim Lucia <ti...@yahoo.com>.
You can specify parameters on the various tabs under the servicew app (the
tray monitor).  You probably want "Startup" in this case, so it would go
alongside the "start" option.

Tim