Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org> on 2008/08/01 19:55:29 UTC

Etch, callbacks

I had hoped that Thrift could be the one RPC to rule them all (finally
have a good standard and be done with something that should have been
settled 15 years ago). But a new RPC contender (Oracle Etch) is
proposing incubation at Apache.

http://www.nabble.com/-PROPOSAL--Etch-tt18758520.html#a18758520
http://developer.cisco.com/web/cuae/etch

So as a user, I'm now in the position of having to evaluate these
seemingly (to me at least) very similar alternatives.

While looking over Oracle's press release on Etch, I see this:
'''Another Etch feature that differentiates it from SOAP is the
ability for the server to initiate message traffic to the client once
a connection is established. Etch also supports event-type messages:
messages that don't require a response. These capabilities allow Etch
to implement notification-style services, where a client can register
to be notified of interesting events. As a result, applications can be
designed on top of Etch that could also assume some responsibilities
normally handled by an enterprise service bus.'''

Which is nice.  AFAIK, in CORBA the client would have passed an object
to the server, which could invoke methods on it.
Is there such a mechanism in Thrift?

-Yonik

Re: Etch, callbacks

Posted by Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>.
Yonik Seeley wrote:
> I had hoped that Thrift could be the one RPC to rule them all (finally
> have a good standard and be done with something that should have been
> settled 15 years ago). But a new RPC contender (Oracle Etch) is
> proposing incubation at Apache.

you mean Cisco right?