Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Dan Funk <fu...@BATTELLE.ORG> on 2005/08/04 16:31:13 UTC

Distributable CD

We deliver HTML web sites to our clients on a CD.  It often remains on
that CD, and they pass the CD around, and use it when they need to do
research on some topic.

We would like to offer them the ability to search the contents of the CD.

We can not install any software on their windows machines (that includes
a JVM, or Microsoft's latest .net whatz-it).

I realize this a crippled, broken process, and that I should be ashamed
for trying to enable it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on how we could
implement such a search functionality?

Thanks,

Dan

Re: Distributable CD

Posted by Volodymyr Bychkoviak <vb...@i-hypergrid.com>.
As I know you dont' need to install jre on target machine (you could put
jre onto cd and use it from cd), but this applies _only_ to standalone
apllications. this means that you will be unable to use java browser plugin.

Dan Funk wrote:

> We deliver HTML web sites to our clients on a CD.  It often remains on
> that CD, and they pass the CD around, and use it when they need to do
> research on some topic.
>
> We would like to offer them the ability to search the contents of the CD.
>
> We can not install any software on their windows machines (that
> includes a JVM, or Microsoft's latest .net whatz-it).
> I realize this a crippled, broken process, and that I should be
> ashamed for trying to enable it.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on how we could
> implement such a search functionality?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

regards,
Volodymyr Bychkoviak

Re: Distributable CD

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Dan Funk wrote:

> We deliver HTML web sites to our clients on a CD.  It often remains on
> that CD, and they pass the CD around, and use it when they need to do
> research on some topic.
>
> We would like to offer them the ability to search the contents of the CD.
>
> We can not install any software on their windows machines (that includes
> a JVM, or Microsoft's latest .net whatz-it).
> I realize this a crippled, broken process, and that I should be ashamed
> for trying to enable it.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on how we could
> implement such a search functionality?

haven't tried this, but:

use lucene, index the docs and put the index on the CD. create an
app/webapp for searching using that index.

?,
-Rob

Re: Distributable CD

Posted by Genty Jean-Paul <ge...@libertysurf.fr>.
  Check http://www.docsearcher.tk/

  They have a way to create searchable CDs ( I did not tested it :-) )

    Jean-Paul