Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net> on 2005/04/11 20:54:28 UTC

Re: svn commit: r14056 - in trunk: . contrib/client-side

philip@tigris.org writes:

> Author: philip
> Date: Fri Apr  8 17:43:35 2005
> New Revision: 14056
>
> Added:
>    trunk/contrib/client-side/mucc-test.sh   (contents, props changed)
>    trunk/contrib/client-side/mucc.c   (contents, props changed)
> Modified:
>    trunk/build.conf
>    trunk/contrib/client-side/   (props changed)
> Log:
> A command line client that combines multiple mv, cp and rm URL commands
> into a single commit.
>
> * build.conf: Add mucc.

I'm uncomfortable with this.  Unlike stuff in our tools/ directory,
items in contrib/ are not first-class citizens in our repository.  And
build.conf is for first-class citizens.  Now, I'm perfectly happy to
accept mucc in the "tools" area if you or others in the community are
willing to support it -- it looks really useful, and better yet, has a
test (or "exercise") script.

Re: svn commit: r14056 - in trunk: . contrib/client-side

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
"C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net> writes:

> philip@tigris.org writes:
>>
>> * build.conf: Add mucc.
>
> I'm uncomfortable with this.  Unlike stuff in our tools/ directory,
> items in contrib/ are not first-class citizens in our repository.  And
> build.conf is for first-class citizens.  Now, I'm perfectly happy to
> accept mucc in the "tools" area if you or others in the community are
> willing to support it -- it looks really useful, and better yet, has a
> test (or "exercise") script.

You seem happy with Max's explanation about contrib, but if anybody
still has reservations I'm happy to change stuff.

I really don't know how much I will maintain it as I don't have much
use for it.  I wrote it as a one-off earlier this year to do one
specific reorganisation, then a recent dev thread reminded me of it
and I decided to tidy it up and put it in the repository.  The URL
encoding, UTF-8 conversion and log message stuff is new and might not
work properly (when I used it in anger my URLs were ASCII and the log
message was hard-coded :)

--
Philip Martin

Re: svn commit: r14056 - in trunk: . contrib/client-side

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
"Max Bowsher" <ma...@ukf.net> writes:

> We've had a contrib thing (svn-push) in build.conf for ages now
> already. And there's nothing wrong with that.
> None of the contrib things actually get build unless you say "make contrib".

Ah!  That last part is the key to making this okay for me.  Thanks for
explaining, Max.

Re: svn commit: r14056 - in trunk: . contrib/client-side

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> philip@tigris.org writes:
>
>> Author: philip
>> Date: Fri Apr  8 17:43:35 2005
>> New Revision: 14056
>>
>> Added:
>>    trunk/contrib/client-side/mucc-test.sh   (contents, props changed)
>>    trunk/contrib/client-side/mucc.c   (contents, props changed)
>> Modified:
>>    trunk/build.conf
>>    trunk/contrib/client-side/   (props changed)
>> Log:
>> A command line client that combines multiple mv, cp and rm URL commands
>> into a single commit.
>>
>> * build.conf: Add mucc.
>
> I'm uncomfortable with this.  Unlike stuff in our tools/ directory,
> items in contrib/ are not first-class citizens in our repository.  And
> build.conf is for first-class citizens.  Now, I'm perfectly happy to
> accept mucc in the "tools" area if you or others in the community are
> willing to support it -- it looks really useful, and better yet, has a
> test (or "exercise") script.

build.conf configures our buildsystem. And there are things in contrib which
need building.

This is nothing new, by the way.

We've had a contrib thing (svn-push) in build.conf for ages now already. And
there's nothing wrong with that.
None of the contrib things actually get build unless you say "make contrib".

Max.