Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it> on 2003/05/28 08:27:36 UTC

RE: New Redirect & sons becoming available

Noel,

1) My problem with the "magic" addresses was that I didn't find another way to overcome the the fact that the available constructors of MailAddress throw ParseException, and so all different solutions I've tried where getting a "exception not caught nor declared" compile error. Please give me a (java coding) suggestion.

2) Obviously no problem changing EMPTY to null, I'll do it, but he have to remember that NULL will have a different meaning than null.

3) I'm exploring the convenience of having an AbstractRedirect class, extended by Redirect and the other mailets; this way some minor "inconsistencies" required by Redirect for backward compatibility (like "default" convergence between the handling of "recipients" and "to") could be managed separately, keeping the overall code cleaner.

I'll have to slow down for a couple of days; in the meantime I may do some minor work, so please help me with point 1 above.

Thanks,

Vincenzo

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Vincenzo,

> 1) I didn't find another way to overcome [the] ParseException.

I have not yet tested the code, but I did compile Redirect.java and
Bounce.java.  This compiles against the CVS + MailetContext.sendMail(Mail).

> 2) [We] have to remember that NULL will have a different meaning than
null.

Well, it is only visible as SpecialAddress.NULL, and RFC 2821 refers to it
as the null reverse-path, which specific instructions (section 6.1):

  If there is a delivery failure after acceptance of a message, the
  receiver-SMTP MUST formulate and mail a notification message.  This
  notification MUST be sent using a null ("<>") reverse path in the
  envelope.  The recipient of this notification MUST be the address
  from the envelope return path (or the Return-Path: line).  However,
  if this address is null ("<>"), the receiver-SMTP MUST NOT send a
  notification.

By the way, should the SpecialAddress markers be treated as case
insensitive?

> 3) I'm exploring the convenience of having an AbstractRedirect class,
>    extended by Redirect and the other mailets

OK.

	--- Noel