Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Mark Masterson <ma...@compuserve.com> on 2001/04/27 17:12:00 UTC

Using AsyncAppender in an RMI server process

As long as I'm posting questions....

I've got a server process, which services applets via RMI.  The server (not
the applets) uses Log4J.  If I use an AsyncAppender, does anybody have any
suggestions for where/how I could invoke Category.shutdown?  I'm used to
doing that when I use async to ensure that the queue gets flushed, etc.  But
in an RMI server process, main() actually exits, and the thread gets handed
off to RMI via some reflection voodoo.  Note that I don't really care about
that - it's the concrete result that's nagging at me: it means that I've got
no obvious place to do cleanup/shutdown, which is where I'd normally
shutdown the AsyncAppender.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
mark