Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Tomislav Stojcevich <st...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/01 13:36:23 UTC

CONTINUUM-310 - customizable email templates

This was marked closed, should it have been?  I still see no way of
allowing the user to customize the content of the email body.

Right now the velocity templates are part of the continuum-core
project and are buried inside the core.jar so it's not easy for the
users to edit the template.

What does everybody think about adding a step to the continuum-webapp
project that extracts the templates from the continuum-core.jar and
puts a copy of them in the WEB-INF/classes directory.  When the mail
notifier loads the templates it should find the ones in the
WEB-INF/classes before the ones in the jar and run with those.

That way the users can edit them and customize them any way they want.

--
tom

Re: CONTINUUM-310 - customizable email templates

Posted by Rahul Thakur <ra...@gmail.com>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On 10/1/07, Tomislav Stojcevich <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> What does everybody think about adding a step to the continuum-webapp
>> project that extracts the templates from the continuum-core.jar and
>> puts a copy of them in the WEB-INF/classes directory.  When the mail
>> notifier loads the templates it should find the ones in the
>> WEB-INF/classes before the ones in the jar and run with those.
>>
>> That way the users can edit them and customize them any way they want.
>>

> I have an outstanding "make things pre-configurable" requirement.
> Right now it's for the General Configuration that you're forced to
> edit the first time the app starts, and it will apply to this as well.
>
> So I need to be able to pre-configure 'what template to use' in an XML
> file and also place the templates somewhere prior to starting the app
> that they will be seen and used.
>
> There is already continuum.xml file that I planned to use for the
> general configuration, should I ever find time to work on that...
>
> Thanks,

Are you implying configuring custom email templates (rather path to
custom email template[s]) in continuum.xml?

Rahul

Re: CONTINUUM-310 - customizable email templates

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
Wendy,

All continuum conf will be externalized in 1.2

Emmanuel

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 10/1/07, Tomislav Stojcevich <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What does everybody think about adding a step to the continuum-webapp
> project that extracts the templates from the continuum-core.jar and
> puts a copy of them in the WEB-INF/classes directory.  When the mail
> notifier loads the templates it should find the ones in the
> WEB-INF/classes before the ones in the jar and run with those.
>
> That way the users can edit them and customize them any way they want.

I have an outstanding "make things pre-configurable" requirement.
Right now it's for the General Configuration that you're forced to
edit the first time the app starts, and it will apply to this as well.

So I need to be able to pre-configure 'what template to use' in an XML
file and also place the templates somewhere prior to starting the app
that they will be seen and used.

There is already continuum.xml file that I planned to use for the
general configuration, should I ever find time to work on that...

Wendy

Re: CONTINUUM-310 - customizable email templates

Posted by Tomislav Stojcevich <st...@gmail.com>.
On 10/2/07, olivier lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> Are you using plexus-runtime or tomcat ?
> If it works with tomcat (adding the template in
> WEB-INF/classes/${templatepath}).
> It looks a classLoader issue with plexus-jetty because WEB-INF/classes must
> wins against WEB-INF/lib.
using plexus

Re: CONTINUUM-310 - customizable email templates

Posted by olivier lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

--
Olivier

Re: CONTINUUM-310 - customizable email templates

Posted by Tomislav Stojcevich <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 10/2/07, Tomislav Stojcevich <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/2/07, Rahul Thakur <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I agree with Emmanuel; extracting templates from core jar is not a solution.
> >
> yes, i do too but it was just a quick and dirty way to provide the
> functionality without any major coding, I guess those users that want
> it could still manually extract the templates and put them in the
> classes dir after installing knowing that it might not be portable
> between versions

Sure, I'm doing that now at work to edit some of the JSP pages, and if
the email templates become a problem we'll "patch" those too after
installation.

Posted by Tomislav Stojcevich <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by olivier lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,
File in ${user.home} can cause  trouble if you have two continuum instances
started with the same user/id and if you need different configurations
between instances.
But we can think about something which merge between $CONTINUUM_HOME/conf
and ${user.home) (I think plexus-registry can do this because it use
commons-configuration) with configuration in $CONTINUUM_HOME/conf  wins.
--
Olivier

--
Olivier

Re: CONTINUUM-310 - customizable email templates

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Rahul Thakur a écrit :

> I haven't seen pebble config...
> I was thinking what if you move database between Continuum installs?
> Since your template resides outside the db, it won't be portable.
>

> Jesse McConnell wrote:
>> I rather like the configuration of pebble where some of the
>> configuration is
>> just putting in classnames and the same could easily be done with the vm
>> template resource location, source from some configuration and then if
>> resource isn't found just use the default like emm was saying...
>>
>> jesse
>>
>> On 10/2/07, Rahul Thakur <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I agree with Emmanuel; extracting templates from core jar is not a
>>> solution.
>>>
>>> So far from this thread it seems there are quite a few things we could
>>> do for the email template customization feature. IMO, We need to
>>> brainstorm what might make best sense.
>>>
>>> Do we allow custom email templates for:
>>> 1) each Build Definition?
>>> 2) each  mail notifier defined?
>>> 3) each Project/Project Group?
>>> and,

Posted by Rahul Thakur <ra...@gmail.com>.
I haven't seen pebble config...

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.

--
jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com

Re: CONTINUUM-310 - customizable email templates

Posted by Rahul Thakur <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
I think the best way would be to allow the user to chosse his own template, if a template isn't define, continuum will choose the default.

About the issue, I closed it because the mail is customizable (subject, print or not the build output...) but if we can allow new templates, we'll can reopen this issue or open a new one.

Emmanuel

Posted by Rahul Thakur <ra...@gmail.com>.