Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Emin Akbulut <em...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/10 07:48:45 UTC

Low spam score: -1.9

Hi all,

Recently we receive spam messages and SA cannot block them.
I've also checked the raw message at  http://spamcheck.postmarkapp.com/
and score was very low either.

I've trained the SA and it worked for a while but now it's useless.

How can I prevent those spams? They look like poems

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I am a tender and passionate girl-student.

I assure satisfaction and all the pleasures to my lover!

I will be alone on Christmas holidays((

Would you like to keep company?

Myphotos and questionnaire are waiting for you! <http://link.removed>

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Message source:
http://pastebin.com/nnN0jGw8

P.S: I know I didn't supply any system info so if you ask
I'll tell the details, I'm not sure what data is required yet.

Thanks.

Re: Low spam score: -1.9

Posted by Emin Akbulut <em...@gmail.com>.
Hi all

I've disabled autolearn for a week and trained SA with tons of spams.
I still receive same spam messages with "random" scores. I've attached the
zip
file that contains same template with different sender addresses. Scores
seem
randomly to me; from 0 to 2.6, etc. Sample spam messages attached:
     https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9kennmy0kerjc3/_spams.zip?dl=0

We have got 500+ inboxes but a few addresses are the victims of mass spams
these days;
same users got 20+ very same spams per day, maybe more There are a few
different
spam templates. I search for specific words like "profile is", "Ginger",
"hot date",
"Appswarm" in files less than 5KB.

I also found a weird break point; one message has score of 1.6 and the very
next same
message has score of -1.1. The two files are here to examine:
     https://www.dropbox.com/s/kiv81gclyaaqmsq/_high-and-then-low.zip?dl=0

I think I'm gonna install a fresh new SA.

Re: Low spam score: -1.9

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.

Re: Low spam score: -1.9

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 11.01.17 14:49, RW wrote:
>Since manual training unlearns before it relearns, it's feasible to
>undo all the damage, but it's difficult to do that outside of a single
>user database. If you don't catch them all, you aren't fixing it, you
>are just working around the damage.

otoh, some part of ham/spam is got properly, you only need to train the
other part...

>> >bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam should be set lower.
>>
>> I agree, and would set that to -0.1 max. However this requires network
>> checks on, since there are nearly no rules other than network and
>> bayes with negative score.
>
>And some of those are arguably pay-to-spam lists.
>
>IMO there's no good way to autolearn ham unless you are prepared to
>write enough local rules to positively identify it. It should be seen
>as a last resort.

it's a good start that will help you in training manually :)

>If you are in a position to train manually then IMO autotraining is
>more trouble than it's worth, except perhaps augmenting manual training
>with something like:
>
> bayes_auto_learn_on_error 1
> bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam  -1000
>
>This lets Bayes do some useful spam learning in real-time, without
>much risk of mistraining.

I'm afraid that bayes_auto_learn_on_error will only cause ham trained as spam
(because not hit) and vice versa, after you train your DB properly ...

Re: Low spam score: -1.9

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Low spam score: -1.9

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 10.01.17 14:13, RW wrote:
>The pastebin example was auto-learned as ham, it may be hard to
>counter this with manual training.

depends... I found out proper trainning can fix quite fast

>bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam should be set lower.

I agree, and would set that to -0.1 max. However this requires network
checks on, since there are nearly no rules other than network and bayes with
negative score.

(ALL_TRUSTED and RP_MATCHES_RCVD should not be taken into account when
autoleatning, whitelists are already ignored).

>clear the Bayes database and train from manually sorted mail.

may not be needed - enough of re-trainings can fix the DB within a few days

having plugins and netowrk checks should help much

Re: Low spam score: -1.9

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> On 10.01.17 10:48, Emin Akbulut wrote:
> >Recently we receive spam messages and SA cannot block them.
>
> why should it? They seem ham to is.
>
> >I've also checked the raw message at
> >http://spamcheck.postmarkapp.com/ and score was very low either.
> >
> >I've trained the SA and it worked for a while but now it's useless.
> >

> >How can I prevent those spams? They look like poems
>
> >Message source:
> >http://pastebin.com/nnN0jGw8
>
> clear case of mistrained BAYES causing message being marked as ham.
> you just have to re-train such spams as spam, it may take some time
> (not very long) until it starts hitting properly.

The pastebin example was auto-learned as ham, it may be hard to
counter this with manual training.

bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam should be set lower. If possible
clear the Bayes database and train from manually sorted mail.

Re: Low spam score: -1.9

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 10.01.17 10:48, Emin Akbulut wrote:
>Recently we receive spam messages and SA cannot block them.

why should it? They seem ham to is.

>I've also checked the raw message at  http://spamcheck.postmarkapp.com/
>and score was very low either.
>
>I've trained the SA and it worked for a while but now it's useless.
>

>How can I prevent those spams? They look like poems

>Message source:
>http://pastebin.com/nnN0jGw8

clear case of mistrained BAYES causing message being marked as ham.
you just have to re-train such spams as spam, it may take some time (not
very long) until it starts hitting properly.

Note that it's important you train the messages under which is used to check
(e.g. amavis user) - it's useless to train different user.

Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity...

Re: Low spam score: -1.9

Posted by Marc Stürmer <ma...@marc-stuermer.de>.
Am 2017-01-10 08:48, schrieb Emin Akbulut:

> Hi all,
>
> Recently we receive spam messages and SA cannot block them.
> I've also checked the raw message at  http://spamcheck.postmarkapp.com/
> and score was very low either.
>
> I've trained the SA and it worked for a while but now it's useless.
>
> How can I prevent those spams? They look like poems

You should evaluate using third party rule sets with SpamAssassin or
maybe making your own.

If you are using Postfix, using Postscreen might also help to reduce
your spam load.

Re: Low spam score: -1.9

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.

Re: Low spam score: -1.9

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
Emin Akbulut kirjoitti 10.1.2017 9:48:

> Hi all,
>
> Recently we receive spam messages and SA cannot block them.
> I've also checked the raw message at  http://spamcheck.postmarkapp.com/
> and score was very low either.
>
> I've trained the SA and it worked for a while but now it's useless.
>
> How can I prevent those spams? They look like poems

Please do NOT post spam to list. Put it to a pastebin.ca or similar and
post a link. The spam you spew might poison our SA...

--
jarif@iki.fi