Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/31 17:39:03 UTC

About Java Code Performance Profiling

Please suggest some good performance profilers for Java.
There is eclipse Test and Performance Platform. Which for some reason is
screwed up with eclipse galileo
Then there is JProbe which has great reviews but its not free
Yourkit has also great reviews, there is an option to get free license(for
opensource community) provided we reference Yourkit on our website
http://www.yourkit.com/purchase/index.jsp

Discussions and Suggestions welcome

Robin

Re: About Java Code Performance Profiling

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Robin Anil wrote:
> Please suggest some good performance profilers for Java.
> There is eclipse Test and Performance Platform. Which for some reason is
> screwed up with eclipse galileo
> Then there is JProbe which has great reviews but its not free
> Yourkit has also great reviews, there is an option to get free license(for
> opensource community) provided we reference Yourkit on our website
> http://www.yourkit.com/purchase/index.jsp

You can get a YourKit license for work on your Apache
project.  If I remember right, your PMC chair should
contact them with a list of committers (with email
addresses) who would like to have a license.  Each
committer on the list will then receive their license
key individually.  I'm pretty sure there's no requirement
to list them on your home page (which I'm not sure the
ASF would allow, anyway).

I know of more than one Apache project that's using
YourKit, so this should not be a problem.

--Thilo

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:22:05 -0700
Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:

> Over time, we will want to develop some performance benchmarking
> tools, too, similar to Lucene's benchmark contrib, as having some
> standard ways to talk about performance and share settings is
> crucial for this stuff in open source.

To me, benchmarking and profiling really are complimentary:
Benchmarking helps to get performance numbers and monitor them
automatically and regularly. I think that is crucial so that after
optimising our code a) we can ensure that future changes do not degrade
performance and b) we can compare performance in various settings.

If performance does degrade, profiling helps to identify the reason why
- and having a profiler like YourKit or JProfiler that is capable of
graphically showing your bottlenecks speeds things up quite a bit.

Isabel

Re: About Java Code Performance Profiling

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 12:13:44 +0530
Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> @Grant. Could you mail and ask them for licenses for all
> mahout devs? Robin

I do not know the procedure with YourKit, but with Intellij, I could
just download the package and contact them directly to get my key sent
to my apache.org mail address. I would guess that the procedure for
YourKit is comparable?

Isabel

Re: About Java Code Performance Profiling

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Sep 1, 2009, at 5:45 AM, Thilo Goetz wrote:

> Robin Anil wrote:
>> I would have done that. But as Thilo said "our PMC chair should
>> contact them with a list of committers (with email
>> addresses) who would like to have a license"
>
> That's what we did at the time, but I have no reason
> to believe that Grant's way wouldn't work either.

Yeah, there website just says to: Mail sales@yourkit.com with Subject:
YourKit Java Profiler Open Source License Request

That's what I did (and I got mine before I was the chair)

-Grant

Re: About Java Code Performance Profiling

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.
I worked with the evaluation version of Yourkit yesterday night. Its gives a

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.