Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> on 2009/12/02 19:46:34 UTC

Suggestion for mentee proposal for Jayaram Suramanian

Jayaram asked me to make some suggestions for  tasks for the next three
months at approximate six hours per week.    I think it would be good to
start with some test conversions and then move into sysinfo
improvements.   So something like:

Ramp up (3 weeks)
1) Do tutorial. Set up build, test, debug environment.
2) Read up on JUnit testing, review existing conversions.

JUnit conversions (4 weeks)
3) Convert autoincrement.sql to JUnit.  This should be a good straight
forward starter. I think we need a Jira for this one.
4) DERBY-4114.  Convert selectivity.sql This was an old test that was
contributed but has old Cloudscape syntax, so will require some thought
to convert to use Derby syntax.
5) DERBY-4249. Create a simple store recovery test in JUnit.  This will
provide a framework for converting store tests.

Sysinfo improvements ( 5 weeks)
These will improve supportability of DERBY significantly.
6) DERBY-4441 - Change sysinfo to print out more specific JVM information.
7) DERBY-1272 - log sysinfo to derby.log. Need to to nail down behavior
with community and deal with possible security manager issues.

Does that sound like a reasonable amount of work for 12 weeks at 6 hours
per week?   There are always bumps along the way.

BTW: Here is some info on what Jayaram will have to submit for the program:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/community-dev/200912.mbox/browser

Thanks

Kathey

Re: Suggestion for mentee proposal for Jayaram Suramanian

Posted by "Dag H. Wanvik" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Jayaram asked me to make some suggestions for  tasks for the next
> three months at approximate six hours per week.    I think it would be
> good to start with some test conversions and then move into sysinfo
> improvements.   So something like:
>
> Ramp up (3 weeks)
> 1) Do tutorial. Set up build, test, debug environment. 2) Read up on
> JUnit testing, review existing conversions.
>
> JUnit conversions (4 weeks)
> 3) Convert autoincrement.sql to JUnit.  This should be a good straight
> forward starter. I think we need a Jira for this one.
> 4) DERBY-4114.  Convert selectivity.sql This was an old test that was
> contributed but has old Cloudscape syntax, so will require some
> thought to convert to use Derby syntax.
> 5) DERBY-4249. Create a simple store recovery test in JUnit.  This
> will provide a framework for converting store tests.
>
> Sysinfo improvements ( 5 weeks)
> These will improve supportability of DERBY significantly.
> 6) DERBY-4441 - Change sysinfo to print out more specific JVM information.
> 7) DERBY-1272 - log sysinfo to derby.log. Need to to nail down
> behavior with community and deal with possible security manager
> issues.
>
> Does that sound like a reasonable amount of work for 12 weeks at 6
> hours per week?   There are always bumps along the way.

Sounds good, Kathey! Sounds ambitious enough.

Dag