Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Miquel Angel <ma...@sidiem.com> on 2005/05/04 08:13:46 UTC

[OT] Recommendation of Instant Messagging System

We are developing an application (struts 1.1 + Tomcat 5.5 + Java 1.4). One
of the requirements is to implement an instant messaging system for the
users of the site (the system should not be very complex). Do you mind to
share your experience in using this system. We are looking for free or non
free systems.

Thanks in advance.

Miquel Angel Segui

Re: [OT] Recommendation of Instant Messagging System

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <st...@anotheria.net>.
if your only functionality is to allow users to send each other messages
which are embedded in the site (html, or something, but no
standalone-desktop solutions) forget about existing systems and
implement it by yourself.
I have implemented dozens of such systems over the time, it's normally
about 100 locs, much less effort than an integration of an existing
system is.

maybe you could tell us a bit more, about the requirements of the
system, so we could give you more specific answer.

regards
Leon

Posted by Jason Lea <ja...@kumachan.net.nz>.
Hi,

No experience in programming, only as a user.  Look at
http://www.jabber.org/ - "the Jabber protocols are free, open, public,
and easily understandable; in addition, multiple implementations exist
for clients <http://www.jabber.org/software/clients.shtml>, servers
<http://www.jabber.org/software/servers.shtml>, components
<http://www.jabber.org/software/components.shtml>, and code libraries
<http://www.jabber.org/software/libraries.shtml>."

Miquel Angel wrote:

>We are developing an application (struts 1.1 + Tomcat 5.5 + Java 1.4). One
>of the requirements is to implement an instant messaging system for the
>users of the site (the system should not be very complex). Do you mind to
>share your experience in using this system. We are looking for free or non
>free systems.
>

>Thanks in advance.
>
>Miquel Angel Segui

Jason Lea