Posted to dev@manifoldcf.apache.org by ma...@deutschebahn.com on 2016/11/20 00:53:38 UTC

Contribution incoming ;-)

Hi Karl,
hi Apache ManifoldCF-Team,

On November 24th 2016 there is a hackathon in my company DB Systel GmbH (a
subcompany of Deutsche Bahn AG). The hackathon's main topic is basically
"Open Source Software" and it is held in the context of an event called
"Open Source Workshop" having the goal to push the process of opening the
company more to the Open Source world.

I will be part of a small hacking team (with Odilo & Rüdiger) whose goal is
to develop _something_ and publish it as open source contribution within
the day. The key achievement for us is to complete the contribution during
the hackathon and present it. The cherry on the cake would be to see an
actual commit in an Open Source project during the day.

Since we are already using Apache ManifoldCF, one of the ideas we came up
with is developing a new Apache ManifoldCF notification connector for Slack
(IRC-like team chat, see [0] and [1]).
Such a connector seems to be an achievable goal for us in such a limited
time frame. We are ambitioned to deliver a “ready to release feature”
including

    - a JIRA ticket with all technical information about the feature
    - production ready code as a patch
    - end user documentation
    - release notes (changes.txt)
    - everything else required according to [2]

Are you interested in a) such a rapid contribution and b) in a Slack
notification connector?

If having the actual commit within the day is something you also would like
to support, we certainly would need the help of one of the Apache
ManifoldCF committers to check in the contribution into a branch or another
of desired destination.
The Hackathon is from 10:00 to 16:00 CET (Frankfurt, Germany). The final
contribution would take place between 15:00 and 16:00 CET.

It would be awesome to hear from you in the next days.

Best regards,
Markus

[0] https://slack.com/
[1] https://api.slack.com/
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CONNECTORS/HowToContribute

--
Markus Schuch
System Development Agile Integration (F.IPA 77)

DB Systel GmbH
Jürgen-Ponto-Platz 1, 60329 Frankfurt a. Main
Tel. +49 69 265-18520, intern 955-18520

Deutsche Bahn - Kein Job wie jeder andere. >>
http://www.deutschebahn.com/karriere

--- Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt, bevor Sie diese E-Mail ausdrucken. ---

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Frankfurt am Main
Registergericht: Frankfurt am Main, HRB 78707
USt-IdNr.: DE252204770
Geschäftsführer: Christa Koenen (Vorsitzende), Bodo Gmel, Gerald Hofer, Dr.
Klaus Rüffler
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Dr. Richard Lutz

Re: Re: Contribution incoming ;-)

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
I created a branch to create your pull request against.
 branches/CONNECTORS-1344

Thanks!!
Karl

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 5:39 AM, <ma...@deutschebahn.com> wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>
> a github pull request sounds like a great idea.
>
> I created the ticket:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CONNECTORS-1344
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Regards
> Markus

Antwort: Re: Contribution incoming ;-)

Posted by ma...@deutschebahn.com.

Re: Contribution incoming ;-)

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
It looks like your list of things that need to be done is adequate.  The
only thing I would be worried about is licensing and/or dependency
conflicts for any dependencies you might have.  I would normally be happy
to help work svn on your behalf but there is one problem: the time in
question occurs during a major holiday in the U.S. (Thanksgiving) and I
have cooking duties at that time already, and will be away from the
internet.

I would suggest creating the ticket early, and I can create a branch for
it.  Then you could do the project in github and submit a pull request I
could act on when I can.

Thanks,
Karl

Re: Contribution incoming ;-)