Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Bryan Field-Elliot <br...@netmeme.org> on 2002/03/06 02:50:25 UTC

Poolman is gone, I hardly knew ya

According to the website:

http://www.codestudio.com/

Poolman is no more. What a bummer for me as I just learned it and
deployed it on a new project less than a week ago!

Previously, I was using the pooling mechanism built into Struts, but due
to many folks refering to it as "not industrial strength", I moved on
(to Poolman).

So what else are people using? Is there one built into Tomcat now? I
read that somewhere, I think in a mailing list message here, but I can't
seem to find any docs on it (looking at the Tomcat 4.0 docs).

Is there a mature one in the Jakarta Commons? I see a "dbcp" but I'm not
sure of it's status, if people are using it, etc.

Opinions appreciated!

Bryan

Re: Poolman is gone, I hardly knew ya

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
Excellent point Ted.  And poolman has features you won't find in many of the
other connection pools currently available.

Despite it no longer being supported, it seems it may still be the best
solution.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful words!

Eddie

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Rimov <ri...@centercomp.com>.
At 06:50 PM 3/5/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>According to the website:
>
>http://www.codestudio.com/
>
>Poolman is no more. What a bummer for me as I just learned it and
>deployed it on a new project less than a week ago!
>
>Previously, I was using the pooling mechanism built into Struts, but due
>to many folks refering to it as "not industrial strength", I moved on
>(to Poolman).
>
>So what else are people using? Is there one built into Tomcat now? I
>read that somewhere, I think in a mailing list message here, but I can't
>seem to find any docs on it (looking at the Tomcat 4.0 docs).
>
>Is there a mature one in the Jakarta Commons? I see a "dbcp" but I'm not
>sure of it's status, if people are using it, etc.
>
>Opinions appreciated!

We have a connection pooling mechanism in Expresso that one independent
user described as "one of the best" [Don't remember his name, sorry].

It wouldn't be hard to modify it so you can get to the underlying
dbconnection pretty easily.  [Just modify
com.jcorporate.expresso.core.db.DBConnection to get what you need.]

Heck, it would even be a "submittable" addition since it's something that
I've been looking to do soon.  [You could email it to me private]

Anyway, the URL is http://www.jcorporate.com/

I haven't personally been shopping around for connection pools, I just know
it seems to work well under load.

HTH!
                                                 -Mike

Re: Poolman is gone, I hardly knew ya

Posted by ma...@tumbleweed.com.
Poolman is currently still available on SourceForge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/poolman/

I don't know what the latest status is, but I've emailed the author. I'll
summarise to the list if I hear back.

I don't think Commons DBCP has been released yet, but Poolman's demise
might hasten that. It's apparently based on code that came out of a
long-running production application, so it should be in good shape.

--
Martin Cooper