Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Ritu Kedia <RK...@saba.com> on 2004/01/30 09:15:17 UTC

Versioning Support in Slide

The Slide 2.0 Changelog says "Preliminary support for Delta V in the
client". What does this entail?
More specifically is "Put under version Control", "Check Out", "Check In" of
resources supported?

Secondly, I have a generic WebDAV question regarding locking. From the Delta
V specs it appears that "Check Out" does not really lock the resource, it
only copies the resource to a workspace area on the server. Another user
could check-out the same revision in another workspace for parallel update.
Does Delta V provide for Exclusive Locking of resources? If yes, how?

Thirdly, If check-out copies the resource to the workspace area on the
server side, does Slide provide for checking out the resource to the desktop
instead?

Lastly, does Delta V support checking out specific revisions? If yes, will
checking in of this resource insert the new revision after the revision
which was checked out?

Regards,
Ritu

Re: Versioning Support in Slide

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
Ritu Kedia wrote:
> The Slide 2.0 Changelog says "Preliminary support for Delta V in the
> client". What does this entail?
> More specifically is "Put under version Control", "Check Out", "Check In" of
> resources supported?
>
> Secondly, I have a generic WebDAV question regarding locking. From the Delta
> V specs it appears that "Check Out" does not really lock the resource, it
> only copies the resource to a workspace area on the server. Another user

Depends on whether it's a checkout-in-place or a working resource
checkout. The former simply flips a bit.

> could check-out the same revision in another workspace for parallel update.
> Does Delta V provide for Exclusive Locking of resources? If yes, how?

Well, using WebDAV locking. If you don't want somebody else to modify a
resource, lock it.

> Thirdly, If check-out copies the resource to the workspace area on the
> server side, does Slide provide for checking out the resource to the desktop
> instead?
>
> Lastly, does Delta V support checking out specific revisions? If yes, will
> checking in of this resource insert the new revision after the revision
> which was checked out?

Yes.

Julian

Re: Versioning Support in Slide

Posted by Ingo Brunberg <ib...@fiz-chemie.de>.
> The Slide 2.0 Changelog says "Preliminary support for Delta V in the
> client". What does this entail?
> More specifically is "Put under version Control", "Check Out", "Check In" of
> resources supported?

Yes.

> Secondly, I have a generic WebDAV question regarding locking. From the Delta
> V specs it appears that "Check Out" does not really lock the resource, it
> only copies the resource to a workspace area on the server. Another user
> could check-out the same revision in another workspace for parallel update.
> Does Delta V provide for Exclusive Locking of resources? If yes, how?

You seem to mix up the workspace feature with simple checkin/checkout
semantics. Of course you can use standard WebDAV locking.

> Thirdly, If check-out copies the resource to the workspace area on the
> server side, does Slide provide for checking out the resource to the desktop
> instead?

The checkout just modifies the state of the version controlled
resource on the server. You still have to use a GET request to
download it to you local disc.

> Lastly, does Delta V support checking out specific revisions? If yes, will
> checking in of this resource insert the new revision after the revision
> which was checked out?

Yes, but not directly. You can update the version controlled resource
to a previous version from the version history of that resource and
then check it out as usual. If you check it back in later, it will
always be the last revision in the version history.

Another alternative is to use the working resource feature. This
allows you to directly check out any version you like. But I must
admit, I'm not sure if Slide supports it.

> Regards,
> Ritu

Ingo