Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com> on 2011/05/02 16:03:05 UTC

Anyone using layer 2 vlans in their cluster?

Hi,

This may be a bit esoteric but I was thinking about clusters and cluster growth within a machine room.

It may not be possible to get contiguous rack space for a very large cluster. I was wondering if anyone had built out a large cluster and had to implement a vlan (layer 2 virtual lan) to make the cluster 'look and feel' as if the machines were racked and co-located together?

Thx

-Mike

RE: Anyone using layer 2 vlans in their cluster?

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

yes please.

I'm curious as to the impact on overall performance.

I would imagine that layer 2 traffic would take precedence over layer 3 traffic.

Thx

-Mike

Posted by James Seigel <ja...@tynt.com>.