Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by "Berk D. Demir" <bd...@mindcast.org> on 2011/12/09 23:44:21 UTC

maven-metadata in Maven Central still points to 3.3.1

Hi,

ZooKeeper in Maven Central still points to 3.3.1 although versions
3.3.[2-4] and 3.4.0 artifacts are there.
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/zookeeper/zookeeper/maven-metadata.xml

If I'm not mistaken, normally Nexus will update maven-metadata.xml
when you promote close and promote a release but this is the case when
uploading to Maven OSS repo and allowing Maven Central sync. I guess
Apache repository w/ Nexus works the same.

I don't know how ZK artifacts are uploaded to Maven Central (i.e:
manually, central mirroring apache, etc.) but just wanted let the devs
know.

I have very limited knowledge on Maven and nearly none on Ivy2 but if
you need help, I'd like to offer a helping hand.

Cheers,

Re: maven-metadata in Maven Central still points to 3.3.1

Posted by "Berk D. Demir" <bd...@mindcast.org>.
On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Berk D. Demir <bd...@mindcast.org> wrote:
>> Just wanted to ping.
>> Is anyone doing anything about this?
>>
>> Please at least delete the RAO repo. Current situation cannot be made worse.
>
> here's the request with infra:

Thanks Patrick,

I'm now watching the issue.
Hopefully this can be solved quickly and people can update the ZK
version dependency to 3.4 series in their POMs.

Re: maven-metadata in Maven Central still points to 3.3.1

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Berk D. Demir <bd...@mindcast.org> wrote:
> Just wanted to ping.
> Is anyone doing anything about this?
>
> Please at least delete the RAO repo. Current situation cannot be made worse.

here's the request with infra:

Patrick

Posted by "Berk D. Demir" <bd...@mindcast.org>.
Just wanted to ping.

Posted by "Berk D. Demir" <bd...@mindcast.org>.
On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
> Is it possible to use Nexus w/o using maven? IE
> can we drive this from our ant scripts, or at the very least do it by
> hand? What's the process look like if doing by hand (I've used nexus
> with other projects, but only via maven).

It is possible. Here's a step-by-step guide from Sonatype OSSRH documentation.
I don't think Apache repo mandates PGP signing, so you can skip it but
please don't if you can.
http://docs.sonatype.org/display/Repository/Sonatype+OSS+Maven+Repository+Usage+Guide#SonatypeOSSMavenRepositoryUsageGuide-7c.DeploySnapshotsandStageReleaseswithAnt

>> If the developers are not interested in this one yet, please reach Apache
>> Infra and make them delete ZK in repo.apache.org.
>> This is so annoying (reason explained below)
>
> What will be the effect of doing this? (deleting repo.apache.org) I
> don't remember setting this up, might someone be depending upon it?

There will be no effect for Maven users because Maven Central
repository is included implicitly in resolution path if you don't
explicitly exclude it.
For people building with SBT, Grails or Apache buildr, there won't be
any changes as well. Maven Central is implicitly included if not
explicitly banned by the user in their build configuration.
For people building with Ivy2 and specifying RAO instead of
people.apache.org, they will need to change their resolver
specification. These users are stuck in 3.3.1 anyway. It's time to change.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Berk D. Demir <bd...@mindcast.org> wrote:
> Resurrecting this problem again after finding out what was wrong and how
> the replication broke just the metadata file.
>
> *Background:*
> ZooKeeper releases are made manually with Ant copied via scp to old
> repository under people.apache.org.
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/HowToRelease
> Although maven-metadata.xml in people.apache.org is correct the one in
> Maven Central still points to 3.3.1.
>
> *Why is this happening?*
> There are two mirrors defined on Sonatype side. One is from RAO (
> repo.apache.org) and the other one is from old people.apache.org repo.
> At some point ZK published artifacts to RAO. The lastest one was 3.3.1.
> But ZK still uses old people.apache.org repo and publishes new artifacts
> there.
> Sonatype's Nexus mirrors from both locations and this breaks
> maven-metadata.xml.
>
> Here's the JIRA with Apache Infra people and Sonatype's support.
> https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MVNCENTRAL-173
>
> *How to fix*
> Brian Fox from Apache Infra suggests to move the project to Nexus and
> completely remove the old repository in people.apache.org.

Hi Berk, thanks for the in depth writeup, esp for those of us not very
familiar with the underlying issues.  Would love to move to Nexus but
as you mention in the next section ZOOKEEPER-1078 is still pending.
Even when that goes in it would only to to the next version (probably
3.5) and wouldn't effect 3.3 and 3.4 codelines, so we'd still have
this issue regardless. Is it possible to use Nexus w/o using maven? IE
can we drive this from our ant scripts, or at the very least do it by
hand? What's the process look like if doing by hand (I've used nexus
with other projects, but only via maven).

> I am offering to help Mavenizing the project and move publishing to RAO.
> There is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-1078 from May 2011
> and last touched Dec 2011.
> ...along with https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-1402
>
> If the developers are not interested in this one yet, please reach Apache
> Infra and make them delete ZK in repo.apache.org.
> This is so annoying (reason explained below)

What will be the effect of doing this? (deleting repo.apache.org) I
don't remember setting this up, might someone be depending upon it?

Thanks for the insight and help.

Regards,

Patrick

Posted by "Berk D. Demir" <bd...@mindcast.org>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Berk D. Demir" <bd...@mindcast.org>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Berk D. Demir" <bd...@mindcast.org>.

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>.
Berk,
 We dont use nexus to upload the maven artifacts. Here's how we do it:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/HowToRelease
(take a look at the publishing section).

I am not sure how to fix the maven metadata but if you someone knows
the way, Ill be happy to do that.

thanks
mahadev