Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Roberto Nibali <rn...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/31 15:46:45 UTC

PDFBox returns "null" and nothing else

Hi

What could be the reason for PDFBox to simply reply "null"?

I sporadically get such a reply from the library, but the processing just
continues. I have absolutely no clue where this is generated.

Best regards
Roberto

Re: PDFBox returns "null" and nothing else

Posted by Roberto Nibali <rn...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tilman

I have absolutely no idea. Today, I ran my tool over thousands of PDFs to
migrate the form fields, and in the output log  (created by redirecting
stderr and stdout into a log file) I saw entries with "null", which do not
come from my code ;). I have no means to reproduce it, since I had to run
my tool in a high secure environment, but it seems that something with
those PDFs, which I never had the chance to test, does not seem to work,
and the only feedback I get from PDFBox is a line which reads "null".

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea which PDFs they are and I can't
easily modify my tool and then re-run it again. This requires a complicated
process. I will try to prepare as much useful output as possible for the
next run (maybe on Monday) to hopefully pinpoint this down to the culprit.
I just thought that meanwhile I'd ask if anyone ever encountered this
before.

Thanks for your time in answering my vague question.

BTW: The tool, which you helped develop as well quite a bit with your great
feedback has worked surprisingly well in its maiden run on the client side,
especially since we only received a very small set of PDFs to test with.
Ever since I introduced the Javascript injection code for the
"document/open" event plus the setNeedAppearance(true), things sail
smoothly. Logically, it will only work for Adobe products, but they do not
have anything else.

Best regards
Roberto

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.