Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Gurganus, Brant L" <gu...@rose-hulman.edu> on 2006/09/15 16:45:39 UTC

running Tomcat as different user

Forgive me if I already sent this. I thought I had, but I could not find it
in my Sent or deleted items.

I am running Tomcat on Windows XP SP2 as a service. I would like to run
Tomcat as a different user that Local System since Local System is rather
over-privileged. I ran tomcat5w and set the user to a newly create user
"tomcat" with, let's say, "tomcat password" as password. I then stopped and
restarted Tomcat, but it still ran as Local System. I noticed that the
actual service was set to run as Local System, so I tried changing it to use
the "tomcat" account also. Doing so adds the Login as Service privilege to
the user. I then started it, and it appeared to start, however, when I go to
a page on the Tomcat server, nothing ever loads.

Does anybody know what privileges or ACLs are needed to allow the service to
run as non-Local System?