Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Israel Tsadok <it...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/16 07:35:00 UTC

RemoteSearchable deprecated. What to replace it with?

I use a ParallelMultiSearcher to search across a bunch of RemoteSearchables,
pretty much as recommended in Lucene In Action, First Edition, with the
appropriate adjustments for Lucene 3.0. This seems to be completely
deprecated in 3.1.

What is the simplest way for me to continue having the ability to search
across multiple servers?

Re: RemoteSearchable deprecated. What to replace it with?

Posted by Israel Tsadok <it...@gmail.com>.
Great. Thanks!

RE: RemoteSearchable deprecated. What to replace it with?

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
You have to implement it yourself. Lucene 3.3 will provide some additions to
IndexSearcher to merge TopDocs results from different searchers, but
collecting those results and transferring over the network is your task. Or
simply use Solr (which is an implementation, to exactly do that). This new
API does not have the problems MultiSearcher had as it uses no global IDF
and does not try to make scores compatible between searchers to merge. These
algorithms caused major bugs.

The new interface is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-3191

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de

Posted by Israel Tsadok <it...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for answering.

Posted by "Sudarsan, Sithu D." <Si...@fda.hhs.gov>.
Hi Tsadok,

In Lucene 3.1:
"MultiSearcher is deprecated; ParallelMultiSearcher has been absorbed directly into IndexSearcher "

-Sithu