Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2002/07/05 15:38:08 UTC

changes button revisited

After the recent changes the changes button looks very misplaced. And we
were discussing this with Allan and need your input.

>>>how about using the bottom, (its not what you want i know)
>>>

>>it's not aligned properly then. it's center-aligned for the 100%
>>width,
>>and not the rightbox.
>>
>>which is what i thought we wanted ???
>

> but it looks bad relative to the [top] and [prev|next] because they
> stand out. see for yourself. it looks much better when it's exactly in
> the middle of the two buttons.
>
> yes agreed. lets rethink.
>
> personaly i dont think it should be a button at all
>
> could we put this button elsewhere?

yes, but where?

> could we make it a link instead of a button?

yes, but first need to decide where to put it.

> could we put it in the menu, hot short cuts?

nope, it must reside in the doc. The changes button doesn't appear on
all pages and we don't want the menu to jump.

in any case i see no place where it can fit in the menu, definitely not
in shortcuts. because the shortcuts include shortcuts. the real link is
needed as well.

I like it the way I did in first place when I've added this feature:

[           ] [top]            [changes]          [prev|up|next]

this seems to be the perfect fit.

Re: changes button revisited

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Bill Moseley wrote:
> At 11:28 PM 07/05/02 +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Bill Moseley wrote:

>>>What happened to the idea of making the Last Modified date the link to the
>>>changes file?
>>>Plus, I don't see that it will be used by the vast majority of people.
>>
>>It's a first time I hear that idea :)
>

> I'm glad I'm not the only one: ;)
>
>     http://search.apache.org/archives/docs-dev/1739.html

Sorry I've forgotten about it. But at least I don't contradict to myself
below.

BTW, now we have the official archive, you can probably drop the
apache.org one :)
http://mathforum.org/epigone/modperl-docs-dev/boosmaudrang

>>- 'Last Modified' is per file, Changes is per DocSet
>>
>>- It's not obvious that it's a changes file
>>
>>I guess we could do that, but then chances that anybody will find its
>>existence are very small. What's the point of maintaining those files
>>than anyway?
>

> Could underline the link, or could say [changes] or [view] in text next to
> the link.

that's mixing buttons with pseudo-button [text] links.

As I said I don't mind having the 'last changed' as a link. But do you
think that the button on the top/prev line is too much?

Re: changes button revisited

Posted by Bill Moseley <mo...@hank.org>.

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org

Re: changes button revisited

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Bill Moseley wrote:
> At 09:38 PM 07/05/02 +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>>personaly i dont think it should be a button at all
>>>
>>>could we put this button elsewhere?
>>
>>yes, but where?
>

> What happened to the idea of making the Last Modified date the link to the
> changes file?
 > Plus, I don't see that it will be used by the vast majority of people.

It's a first time I hear that idea :)

- 'Last Modified' is per file, Changes is per DocSet

- It's not obvious that it's a changes file

I guess we could do that, but then chances that anybody will find its
existence are very small. What's the point of maintaining those files
than anyway?

That's why I created the button, so it'll be actually visible.

Re: changes button revisited

Posted by Bill Moseley <mo...@hank.org>.