Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de> on 2002/11/15 13:24:48 UTC

[Fwd: Re: svg]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: svg
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:34:41 -0000
From: "Upayavira" <uv...@upaya.co.uk>
To: Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>

 > Cocoon uses Batik and http://xml.apache.org/batik/svgrasterizer.html
 > says: "The provided formats are JPEG, PNG, and Tiff, however the design
 > allows new formats to be added easily."

I can't speak for the developers of Batik, but the usual reason that GIF is
not supported
in open-source software is because anyone who creates tools that generate
GIFs must
pay a patent licence fee for the priveledge. With an open-source project,
there isn't a
clear body to pay those licence fees. Hence, GIF tends to be excluded.

Regards, Upayavira

--

System Development
VIRBUS AG

Re: Re: svg]

Posted by Boris Althaus <bo...@petra-productions.de>.
With svg2png-Serializer works fine in Mozilla, but IE cannot handle transparancy of png-images and other browser probably have the same or other problems.
It's a pity that GIF requires a licence fee.

  --

  System Development
  VIRBUS AG