Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by john doe <jo...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/16 02:42:52 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: apache2: mod_cache: the order of CacheEnable and CacheDisable

Since nobody has replied so, I looked into its supposed source code:
http://lxr.webperf.org/source.cgi/modules/cache/cache_util.c

The logic seems to be like this:
1. If a url matches ANY of the CacheDisable entries, don't cache it
and END of program.
2. Else if a url matches ANY of the CacheEnable entries, cache it and
End of program.
3. Else don't cache it and End of Program.

Based on the code, I conclude:
1. Order of CacheEnable and CacheDisable doesn't matter - they can be
mixed in any order.
2. CacheDisable takes higher priority over CacheEnable, a conservative
and prudent approach (which I happen to agree in lieu of a more
sophisticated water-down rule system as in Squid).

Any comments?
-jd