Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by cj...@sbcglobal.net on 2015/10/18 20:01:39 UTC

Just two simple questions

1. want do I type to get a total of highlighted cells?

2. what  do I type to get the total (multiple) of two highlighted cells?

Cliff

cjm1819@sbcglobal.net

734 665 4986

Re: Just two simple questions

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 14:01 18/10/2015 -0400, Cliff Monly wrote:
>Just two simple questions

These may be a little too simple ...

>1. what do I type to get a total of highlighted cells?

I'm guessing that you mean spreadsheet cells, not table cells in a
text document? And by "total" you mean the sum of their values, not
the total number of cells? And by  "highlighted", you mean selected
cells - not either having a background colour, or formatted to show,
say, negative numbers highlighted in a different colour, or
highlighted differently by View | Value Highlighting?

I don't think spreadsheets work in the way that you expect. Any
formula you enter has to be entered in cell, and if you had cells
already selected, the formula would overwrite one of them. If you
created the formula first and selected multiple cells afterwards, you
would still be expecting OpenOffice to recalculate formulae every
time you made a  selection or modified one. Spreadsheets don't do that.

There are ways that you can achieve something like what you seem to need:

o You can construct a formula - probably including the IF() function
- which will calculate the sum of the relevant cells based on some
criterion, without the need to select the cells to identify them.

o You can filter a column of values so as to hide some rows and leave
only the relevant rows. Note that the SUM() function will not help
here, as it will still include values in the hidden rows; but you can
use the SUBTOTAL() function with 9 as its first argument to sum only
those values that are in rows that are not hidden.

>2. what do I type to get the total (multiple) of two highlighted cells?

Sorry, but I don't know what a "multiple total" is. If this question
is not the same as the first one, then I don't understand it. Do you
perhaps here mean the sum of values but in the first question you
meant the count of the values? In that case, the solutions are
similar; the equivalent to the COUNT() function that omits values in
hidden rows is SUBTOTAL(2;...).

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker