Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Stefan Parnet <st...@rsel.renesas.com> on 2005/04/27 15:20:32 UTC

Howto configure tomcat to compile JSPs with Sun JDK 1.5

Hello,

I installed Tomcat 5.5.9 and want to use Java 1.5 in my JSPs. Since
Tomcat 5.5 uses the Eclipse JDT Compiler (Java 1.4), it cannot compile
my JSPs.
So I want the tomcat to compile the JSP's with the Sun JDK 1.5 compiler.
I searched the web, but I did not find any instructions how to configure
the tomcat to do so.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Stefan

are addressed. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised.
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it, is prohibited.
E-mail messages are not necessarily secure.  Renesas does not accept
responsibility for any changes made to this message after it was sent.
Please note that this email message has been swept by Renesas for
the presence of computer viruses.

Re: Howto configure tomcat to compile JSPs with Sun JDK 1.5

Posted by Lutz Zetzsche <Lu...@sea-rescue.de>.
Hi Stefan,

Am Mittwoch, 27. April 2005 16:14 schrieb Stefan Parnet:
> I have the environment variables JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME already set
> to the JDK, but Tomcat still compiles JSPs with its built in  Eclipse
> JDT Java compiler.
> This fact is mentioned in the Release Notes. There is also mentioned
> that it is possible to configure Tomcat to use another compiler. But
> there is no explanation how to configure it.

Perhaps the following how-to contains the information, you missed in the
release notes:

	http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/jasper-howto.html

Best wishes
Lutz

Re: Howto configure tomcat to compile JSPs with Sun JDK 1.5

Posted by Stefan Parnet <st...@rsel.renesas.com>.

Lutz Zetzsche schrieb:

>Hi Stefan,
>
>Am Mittwoch, 27. April 2005 15:20 schrieb Stefan Parnet:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I installed Tomcat 5.5.9 and want to use Java 1.5 in my JSPs. Since
>>Tomcat 5.5 uses the Eclipse JDT Compiler (Java 1.4), it cannot
>>compile my JSPs.
>>So I want the tomcat to compile the JSP's with the Sun JDK 1.5
>>compiler. I searched the web, but I did not find any instructions how
>>to configure the tomcat to do so.
>>
>>Can anyone help me?
>>

>Do you integrate the Tomcat 5.5.9 into your Eclipse IDE or do you run it
>seperately?
>
>If you run Tomcat integrated into Eclipse, perhaps you can tell Eclipse
>which installed Tomcat and which installed JDK to use for your project.
>This is the way, I can do it with NetBeans IDE.
>
>Else, if you run Tomcat independently of the IDE, you must only set the
>environment variable for the JDK correctly before starting the server.
>I am running Tomcat 5.5.7 with JDK 1.5.0_02 and have to set the
>environment variable JRE_HOME so that Tomcat uses the right one of the
>installed JDKs. I set the JRE_HOME manually before starting Tomcat:
>
>	export JRE_HOME=/usr/java/jre1.5.0_02/
>	(you must change the path to the path you use on your system)
>
>The environment variable JAVA_HOME could also play a role, although not
>in my case. :-)
>
>I hope, this information does help a little.
>

>Best wishes
>
>Lutz

I have the environment variables JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME already set to
the JDK, but Tomcat still compiles JSPs with its built in  Eclipse JDT
Java compiler.
This fact is mentioned in the Release Notes. There is also mentioned
that it is possible to configure Tomcat to use another compiler. But
there is no explanation how to configure it.

Thanks for your answer.

Posted by Lutz Zetzsche <Lu...@sea-rescue.de>.
Hi Stefan,