Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Ralf Weinand <po...@zebra.inka.de> on 1999/05/29 23:37:49 UTC

general/4492: UTF-8 encoding URL's at IE5 won't work with special directory-names and apache

>Number:         4492
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       UTF-8 encoding URL's at IE5 won't work with special directory-names and apache
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
After the Installation of IE5 (german version) i got Problems with my websites
Some links, that i created via javascript won't work.
But javascript isn't the problem.

non english URL's are standardly encoded in the UTF-8 mode, so i can't reach the sites with special words.
when i disable the utf-8 in the IE5-properties (deep inside), all will work.

i searched a while about the UTF-8 Meaning, but i do nor Know, whether UTF-8 is a standard real planned for the Internet.

A small CGI-script shows me the version of Apache at my site-provider
>How-To-Repeat:
surf to http://www.teddy-online.de/images/Teddys/Gro�/Teddy-schwarz.txt

this .txt file will not be reached with IE5 and the standard-installation
>Fix:
maybe UTF-8 is the solution, but when UTF-8 is not a real Internet-standard, i haven't an answer.
More environments are visible at
http://www.teddy-online.de/cgi-bin/printenv.pl
[to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]