Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Frans Thamura <fl...@meruvian.com> on 2006/10/09 16:11:03 UTC

Alfresco + Jackrabbit

anyone using Alfresco,

i got an email from John Newton, said that Jackrabbit is just for flat
file, and bad solution for hiearchical data, which alfresco focus on

i see the structure of Alfresco is different

any input?

Frans

Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
On 10/9/06, Frans Thamura <fl...@meruvian.com> wrote:
> anyone using Alfresco,
>
> i got an email from John Newton, said that Jackrabbit is just for flat
> file, and bad solution for hiearchical data, which alfresco focus on

can't believe that john said that...

well, on the other hand he probably just tries to make his product
look better ;-)

never mind, there's no reason whatsoever why jackrabbit would be
a "bad solution for hierarchical data".

cheers
stefan

Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com>.
Frans Thamura wrote:
> Serge Huber wrote:
>>
>> Well I looked at Alfresco a while back but for me the main difference
>> was at the time :
>>
>> - Nodes in Alfresco seem more file-oriented (basically it's mostly
>> configured for that type of usage)
>> - Nodes in Jackrabbit are quite general
>>
> +1
>
> alfresco using database to store meta, and jackrabbit using file,
I think you have misunderstood what I was saying. Alfresco's
implementation is based on the JCR, so it is quite similar to
Jackrabbit's. The difference is that by default configuration,
Jackrabbit's repository is much more general, while Alfresco's is
configured to store files. But they are both able to store data in a JCR
compliant way.

I must say I'm not entirely convinced by hierarchical storage though,
because more and more data querying is done through the query language,
as personalization and searching become a good way to present relevant
data to users. A tree is a projection of a graph, and it would be a
shame to have only one possible "tree view" of the data. As I see the
tree view, this is the "underlying" data model, used mostly by
application writers, and then the actual data retrieval and processing
can be done in multiple axis.

Regards,
  Serge Huber.

Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
> alfresco using database to store meta, and jackrabbit using file,
No, that's simply not true.

[ I appreciate that this is not the level of discussions we should
have on this list but, I just didn't want to leave this one unanswered
in the archives. ]

> John said this movement make Alfresco more high performance.
Knowing John, I seriously doubt that he would make a statement like
this.

> right now, I try to integrate alfresco with my Liferay, and my MVC
> framework (WebWork), but I see, develop from scratch using jackrabbit is
> better, because i dont need the hierarcical spaces
?! (speechless)

regards,
david

Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit

Posted by Frans Thamura <fl...@meruvian.com>.
Serge Huber wrote:

> Well I looked at Alfresco a while back but for me the main difference
> was at the time :
>
> - Nodes in Alfresco seem more file-oriented (basically it's mostly
> configured for that type of usage)
> - Nodes in Jackrabbit are quite general

+1

alfresco using database to store meta, and jackrabbit using file,

John said this movement make Alfresco more high performance.

right now, I try to integrate alfresco with my Liferay, and my MVC
framework (WebWork), but I see, develop from scratch using jackrabbit is
better, because i dont need the hierarcical spaces

FRans

Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com>.
David Nuescheler wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
>> Actually one thing that I find really interesting about Alfresco - in
>> case anyone wants to implement it as an add-on to Jackrabbit - is the
>> CIFS layer which supposedly allows good access to the server (as a
>> document server) from Windows clients.  I would imagine that using
>> the jCIFS library it would
>> be possible to write something similar for a more generic JSR-170
>> provider...
> I think this would be a good idea too, as a matter of fact we already
> looked into the feasibility of something like that and it seems to work
> just fine. Some random access performance drawbacks if we want
> to keep it strictly bound to the JCR API.
>
> jCIFS though is a CIFS client, right? At least I have not found a CIFS
> server other than Starlasoft's / Alfresco's?
> Am I looking in the wrong place?
Well the other question is the relationship between Starlasoft and
Alfresco, as the developer that is behind Starlasoft is on Alfresco's
payroll. What is not entirely clear is if the product on Starlasoft will
continue to evolve or if JLAN will become an integral part of Alfresco.

The license of JLAN inside Alfresco is Mozilla-based, with a strong
advertisement clause. But the advertisement clause concerns mostly GUIs,
and how does it apply to server-side libraries ? If JLAN is used as a
CIFS server for a Jackrabbit repository, where do you (and do you need
to ?) advertise the Alfresco copyrights, etc ?

>> Having tried mapping a WeDAV
>> location as a network drive I can say that it really doesn't work in a
>> usable fashion.
> Really? So far I experienced a generally suboptimal perfomance
> but it works just as well as CIFS for me, both on MacOSX and Windows.
> What issues did you encounter?
Our experience with the WebDAV client on Windows has been nothing short
of horrible : two many buggy DLLs out there (see
http://www.greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/webfolder-client-list.html for a
detailed list of the bugs and implementations) and they all behave
differently. Caching is erratic, internationalisation is very poor (some
operations like renaming a directory using non ISO8859-1 chars are not
even sent out to the server depending on the version of the DLL !). My
impression is that Microsoft does not view the WebDAV client as
important, and therefore doesn't really make a big effort to maintain it.

CIFS on the other hand is the main file-sharing system on Windows
system, and is actively developed and maintained by Microsoft. Of course
this also means that they can change the protocol and implementation as
they see fit, which is a problem for libraries like JLAN that must
constantly keep up.

One idea that would be interesting would be to develop a "custom" open
source "file-system" driver for Windows, that could use a transport such
as WebDAV. There are closed-source solutions like Xythos Drive that
already offer this, but having an open source one might be interesting.
The good side about having such an implementation is that it could
evolve seperately to Windows implementations of WebDAV. The bad side is
that it's a lot of Windows-specific work and might be tedious. But there
are success stories such as TortoiseCVS and TortoiseSVN, they just lack
the mapping possibility.

The ideal open source configuration as I see it for file repositories :
- Strongly integrated open source client on Windows (offering the
possibility to control versions, searches, check-in/check-out, locking,
etc...).CIFS and the default WebDAV Windows client don't offer these
features.
- JCR backends such as Jackrabbit.

Anyway, just some food for thought :)
cheers,
  Serge...

Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit

Posted by "Robert r. Sanders" <ro...@ipov.net>.
Julian Reschke wrote:
>>> Really? So far I experienced a generally suboptimal perfomance
>>> but it works just as well as CIFS for me, both on MacOSX and Windows.
>>> What issues did you encounter?
>> We tried Win2k client machines connecting to a Subversion server set
>> to auto-version.  Opening a "web folder" worked ok; but trying to map
>> that to a drive letter seemed to result in all sorts of issues, one
>> of which I believe was an infinite loop in the login prompt.  Its
>> been over a year, so the details have gotten kind of fuzzy.  Anyway,
>> we were trying to use non-WebDAV aware programs (e.g. Flash, Wave
>> file editors, etc...) and this also seemed to often result in
>> zero-byte files being stored on the server.  Maybe a different
>> combination on the server-side would have fixed the issue, I can't say.
>
> Well. If programs act suboptimal when presented with a JCR server
> mapped to a drive letter through WebDAV, why do you think they'll work
> any better with a JCR server mapped to a drive letter through CIFS?
> It's only a different transport, but I don't think the main issues (*)
> will go away.
>
> Best regards, Julian
>

> (*) such as: lots of temp files, no use of locking, creating new files
> and moving them over instead of overwriting existing ones, causing
> loss of metadata
First off as I said the server was actually not running a JCR
implementation - it was running subversion (OS X was reported to work
pretty well by one user who tried it with his notebook).  Secondly, my
goal would be to "tune" the JCR server configuration to better handle
the specific use cases (although this is of course speculative, but I
think at least somewhat possible). Third, I suspect the big issue is
that, as many people have found, the MS implementation of  WebDAV
"drives' is pretty idiosyncratic, so although I have to admit I have not
had a chance to test it, I would suspect something which exposed a CIFS
interface would at least be easier to setup if nothing else.  Of course
this is mostly speculative, but it meshes with my experience.

Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.

Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit

Posted by "Robert r. Sanders" <ro...@ipov.net>.
> I think this would be a good idea too, as a matter of fact we already
> looked into the feasibility of something like that and it seems to work
> just fine. Some random access performance drawbacks if we want
> to keep it strictly bound to the JCR API.
>
> jCIFS though is a CIFS client, right? At least I have not found a CIFS
> server other than Starlasoft's / Alfresco's?
> Am I looking in the wrong place?
Duh, I believe I had the two mixed up.  I don't know why; overly
optimistic thinking I guess.

Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Robert,

Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit

Posted by Frans Thamura <fl...@meruvian.com>.
Nicolas wrote:
> This is an excellent idea. Did you try using Alfresco's one? Is it
> working
> well?
working well, but must be under intranet envionment

it CIFS implement SMB and add _A

if your server FRANS

so your alfresco CIFS become FRANS_A

there is a native .dll to make the alfrsco can become SMB file

JCIFS is better solution anyway.

Frans

Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit

Posted by "Robert r. Sanders" <ro...@ipov.net>.
I must admit that I have not yet done so.  I am currently mostly lurking
on this list.  I have an idea for an IT project using a content
repository, but I have not had the time/resources to pursue it.

--
    Robert r. Sanders
    Chief Technologist

Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit

Posted by Nicolas <nt...@gmail.com>.

--
a+
Nico

Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit

Posted by "Robert r. Sanders" <ro...@ipov.net>.

--
    Robert r. Sanders
    Chief Technologist

Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit

Posted by Frans Thamura <fl...@meruvian.com>.
Christophe Lombart wrote:
> Another interesting comparaison is certainly the licence term which is
> not very clear for the Alfresco product (at least for myself).
i got email from alfresco guy, because i recompile alfresco :) and i
change the alfresco footer become my company copyright

now i just turn on my digital library with annoying alfresco statement.

and this happen after 1.3 :)

[logo] Supplied free of charge with no support
<http://www.alfresco.com/services/support/communityterms/#support>, no
certification
<http://www.alfresco.com/services/support/communityterms/#certification>,
no maintenance
<http://www.alfresco.com/services/support/communityterms/#maintenance>,
no warranty
<http://www.alfresco.com/services/support/communityterms/#warranty> and
no indemnity
<http://www.alfresco.com/services/support/communityterms/#indemnity> by
Alfresco <http://www.alfresco.com> or its Certified Partners
<http://www.alfresco.com/partners/>. Click here for support
<http://www.alfresco.com/services/support/>. Alfresco Software Inc. ©
2005-2006 All rights reserved.

Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.

--
Best regards,

Christophe

Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com>.

Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit

Posted by Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com>.
On 10/9/06, Frans Thamura <fl...@meruvian.com> wrote:
> anyone using Alfresco,
>
> i got an email from John Newton, said that Jackrabbit is just for flat
> file, and bad solution for hiearchical data, which alfresco focus on
>
> i see the structure of Alfresco is different

I don't know who John Newton is (mea culpa), but afaik Jackrabbit is a
valid and even more, afaik, the most complete JSR170 implementation.
Other than this, I guess it may be oke to have different solutions for
this spec implementation (in case you are referring to this).

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.