Posted to mod_python-dev@quetz.apache.org by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org> on 2005/09/18 23:09:28 UTC

drafting an announcement

I've updated the XML for the mod_python download page and regened the HTML
and it looks like the opration was a success, so 3.2.2b is officially
downloadable.

This was the original announcement that was sent out for 3.1.2 beta.  I'm
kind of drawing a blank on 'feature highlight' bullet points - if you have
any ideas send them in, and I'll assemble it into a nicer text.

Grisha

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jg...@sympatico.ca>.
Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Jim Gallacher wrote:
>
>> New Features
>>
>>    * New apache.register_cleanup() method.
>

> Appears to be undocumented.

This is true. How about this (from MODPYTHON-37):

"""
register_cleanup(callable[, data])

     Registers a cleanup. Argument callable can be any callable object,
the optional argument data can be any object (default is None). At
Apache child process termination, callable will be called with one
argument, data.

    If errors are encountered during cleanup processing, they should be
in error log.
"""

I wonder if there should be a warning about using req as the data
object? If req is used a reference to it would be held until the child
terminates, which could have some rather nasty side effects. Any thoughts?

Jim

Re: drafting an announcement

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jorey Bump <li...@joreybump.com>.
Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> The announcement does not need to go into such detail, so how about:

Personally, I found the detailed announcement very useful, because it
flags exactly what I should check in my own applications before
switching over. My 2 cents.

Re: drafting an announcement

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org>.
The announcement does not need to go into such detail, so how about:

**

The new version of mod_python features several new functions and
attributes providing better access to apache internals, file-based
sessions and other session improvements, as well as lots of bug fixes and
various performance and security improvements.

**

Grisha

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Jim Gallacher wrote:

> Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:
>>
>> I've updated the XML for the mod_python download page and regened the HTML
>> and it looks like the opration was a success, so 3.2.2b is officially
>> downloadable.
>>
>> This was the original announcement that was sent out for 3.1.2 beta.  I'm
>> kind of drawing a blank on 'feature highlight' bullet points - if you have
>> any ideas send them in, and I'll assemble it into a nicer text.
>>
>> Grisha
>
> The text from doc-html/node97.html (Changes from 3.1.4) would be a good
> starting point. :)
>
> Regards,
> Jim
>
> New Features

[snip]

Re: drafting an announcement

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jg...@sympatico.ca>.
Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> I've updated the XML for the mod_python download page and regened the
> HTML and it looks like the opration was a success, so 3.2.2b is
> officially downloadable.
>
> This was the original announcement that was sent out for 3.1.2 beta.
> I'm kind of drawing a blank on 'feature highlight' bullet points - if
> you have any ideas send them in, and I'll assemble it into a nicer text.
>
> Grisha

The text from doc-html/node97.html (Changes from 3.1.4) would be a good
starting point. :)

Regards,
Jim

New Features

     * New apache.register_cleanup() method.
     * New file-based session manager class.
     * Session cookie name can be specified.
     * The maximum number of mutexes mod_python uses for session locking
can now be specifed at compile time using configure --with-max-locks.
     * New a version attribute in mod_python module.
     * New test handler testhandler.py has been added.

Improvements

     * Autoreload of a module using apache.import_module() now works if
modification time for the module is different from the file. Previously,
the module was only reloaded if the the modification time of the file
was more recent. This allows for a more graceful reload if a file with
an older modification time needs to be restored from backup.
     * Iterable return values are now correctly published
     * Fixed the traversal security issue
     * mod_python.c now logs reason for a 500 error
     * Calls to PyErr_Print in mod_python.c are now followed by fflush()
     * Using an empty value with PythonOption will unset a PythonOption key.
     * Improvments to FieldStorage allow uploading of large files.
Uploaded files are now streamed to disk, not to memory.
     * Path to flex is now discovered at configuration time or can be
specifed using configure --with-flex=/path/to/flex.

Bug Fixes

     * Fixed memory leak which resulted from circular references
starting from the request object.
     * Fixed memory leak resulting from multiple PythonOption directives.
     * Cookie attributes with attribute names prefixed with $ are now
ignored. See Section 4.7 for more information.
     * Bug in setting up of config_dir from Handler directives fixed.
     * mod_python.publisher will now support modules with the same name
but in different directories
     * Fixed continual reloading of modules problem
     * Fixed big marshalled cookies error.
     * Fixed mod_python.publisher extension handling
     * mod_python.publisher default index file traversal
     * mod_python.publisher loading wrong module and giving no warning/error
     * apply_fs_data() now works with "new style" objects
     * File descriptor fd closed after ap_send_fd() in req_sendfile()
     * Bug in mem_cleanup in MemorySession fixed.
     * Fixed bug in _apache._global_lock() which could cause a segfault
if the lock index parameter is greater number of mutexes created at
mod_python startup.
     * Fixed bug where local_ip and local_host in connection object were
returning remote_ip and remote_host instead
     * Fixed install_dso Makefile rule so it only installs the dso, not
the python files
     * Potential deadlock in psp cache handling fixed
     * Fixed bug where sessions are used outside <Directory> directive.

Re: drafting an announcement

Posted by Nicolas Lehuen <ni...@gmail.com>.
We could simply change the issue's summary so that it reads correctly in th
release notes.

Regards,
Nicolas

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jg...@sympatico.ca>.