Posted to ftpserver-users@mina.apache.org by Jerry M <te...@malcolms.com> on 2009/03/02 18:55:12 UTC

Re: [32.4% spam] Re: Location of configuration file in embedded mode

Thanks for the response.  But now, I'm really confused.  I wasn't
planning on having to write java code just to be able to use this server
out of the box for my server needs.  I want to replace IIS on my host
machine for all of my clients and use the Apache FTP server for all FTP
needs.  I don't have off the wall requirements.  Just a bunch of users
that need to get to their domain directories (while I and other admins
can FTP to any of the domain directories, etc.

I thought I could download the server, install it, create a
configuration XML file or preferably a database and be up and running.

Now you're telling me that if I want virtual directories, I've got to
write Java code?

I'm a veteran java programmer.  But I have no knowledge of Spring or
what it is (other than what I read, briefly).  And if I'm writing code,
that means I have to create classes... subclasses of what?  Do I write
my own main?  How do I register my code.

But I'm diverging.  I didn't make time on my schedule to write an FTP
server or any part of one.

Even in your code, you didn't answer my fundamental question.....  can I
have one user read/write certain directories on the server (random
directories, not all neatly nested under 'My Documents" or "MyRoot"),
and have another user read/write a different set of directories
(possibly with overlap to the directories of the first user?

In your code, you simply said, "load the config file" which I guess
implies that somewhere all of that info I was describing is defined in
the config file.  But I still have no clue.  The database schema doesn't
seem to have any tables or fields that support that.

I think you need an end-to-end real-life installation/configuration
example of using this server in a medium-large scale environment (other
than single user, etc).  I know it's new.  And if you tell me it's just
not ready for prime time yet, so be it.  I'll be disappointed.  But I'll
wait.

But please tell me I don't have to learn a new Java framework and write
a java library in order to use this server for the basic IIS-equivalent
function.  That's definitely not the model for any other server at Apache.

Thanks again.

Jerry

Posted by David Latorre <dv...@gmail.com>.
can I
> have one user read/write certain directories on the server (random
> directories, not all neatly nested under 'My Documents" or "MyRoot"), and
> have another user read/write a different set of directories (possibly with
> overlap to the directories of the first user?

So if I understand correctly you want to have access to e,g, c:\software ,
c:\stuff\movies,
with a user and access only to  c:\work , c:\stuff\movies\action  with
another. Did I understand correctly? Unless I'm missing something you can't
do this now - only if you use Unix symlinks or probably Windows junction
points.

Sure there's  room for improvement in this area but luckily enough you don't
need any knowledge of Spring whatsoever to contribute in this area. This
said, I'm planning on working on this when I find the time- unfortunately
i've been really busy for the last few months so my contributions have been
less than scarce.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Jerry M <te...@malcolms.com> wrote:
> Very disappointing, and incredibly limiting IMHO.  I thought I saw the term
> "Virtual Directory support" on the feature list for this FTP server.  What
> is that referring to if not this type of function?

While I did not write that myself, my interpretation is that it refers
to our file system abstraction which enables you to write a file
system for any type of backend (database, JMS, native file system and
so on). Maybe we should change the wording to make it more clear?

/niklas

Re: [32.4% spam] Re: Location of configuration file in embedded mode

Posted by Jerry M <te...@malcolms.com>.
Very disappointing, and incredibly limiting IMHO.  I thought I saw the
term "Virtual Directory support" on the feature list for this FTP
server.  What is that referring to if not this type of function?

Thanks.

Jerry

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.