Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2013/05/17 15:50:47 UTC

Welcome Eberhard Sperr Jr. (esjr) as our new DeviceMap committer and PPMC member!

Hi,

The DeviceMap PPMC has elected Eberhard as a DeviceMap committer and
PPMC member - please join me in welcoming him to this new role!

Eberhard, an old Apache tradition says that you're welcome to
introduce yourself here as far as your work on DeviceMap is concerned,
feel free to do so.

Your write access to
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/devicemap/ should be setup
already.

Please have a look at
http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html and more generally
http://www.apache.org/dev

Looking forward to working with you here!
-Bertrand

Re: Welcome Eberhard Speer Jr. (esjr) as our new DeviceMap committer and PPMC member!

Posted by "eberhard speer jr." <se...@ducis.net>.

Hi all,

I'm honored to join this illustrious company.
I remember the days when a megabyte was still a big deal.
When the internet appeared I went 'stateless' and ended up traveling
the world project to project, mainly connecting ERP beasts to custom
www front-ends; either as a one man band or at the head of a small
dedicated team. (Mainly automotive aftermarket like Sogefi,
AlliedSignal,...)
I developed a passion for logs and the user-agent and IP in particular
: all that info...unused.
When I came across OpenDDR (August last year), I 're-wrote' it (the
C#) in .Net lingo to figure it out and added a few twists.
I now have a customer using a custom API based on my OpenDDR fork
which gets around 6k-10k hits/day, while the free version gets hit
around a 1000 times a day. (www.ducis.net/miri)
All machines etc are here in my offices (no cloud, hosting,...)
something which is important to me.
In Greece now (typical case of : seemed like a good idea at the time)
trying to eek out a (modest) living...

Like most in my case (age ?) I do not have a formal CS training
(English lit. and philosophy, FYI) but pretty much saw or committed
every 'WTF' you'll find on those funny sites.
This is my 1st real contact with Open Source -- I know, shame etc. --
so I may be not familiar with the 'protocols'.

Other points :
- - like lists
- - "good enough" is not good enough
- - stickler for standards
- - like to craft words and code
- - don't do 'short' very well

Looking forward to spirited back and forth and a DeviceMap that prides
us by taking the wwworld !

esjr