Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Rajesh Kommineni <r_...@hotmail.com> on 2001/06/04 20:50:04 UTC

"uname" in makefile

Hi all,
I am just curious whether using uname in makefile will make our life easier.
I am trying to modify the makefile with "uname" so that it figures out
OS-type itself and correspondingly does platform specific things. Any
thoughts/comments?
rajesh

Re: "uname" in makefile

Posted by Martin Kalen <ma...@todaysystems.com.au>.
If you are looking into these things, I would really suggest that you
fix up the somewhat broken usage of GNU "autoconf".

The support for autoconf is half there, but really in a bit of a messy
state since people have been commiting changes to the configure script
without modifying the configure.in template.

The idea is to set up configure.in, run autoconf and get a "configure"
script that can e.g. decide which box you are running on, check that
the C++ compiler works, check where your system header includes reside
and which lib to link with for using threads. Pretty much the work
that is now done in runConfigure that is...

GNU autoconf has the "uname" stuff and a lot more already in there
(config.guess) and as you can see the configure script already makes a
good guess for the supported Xerces platforms (although runConfigure
enforces its own -p[platform] recognition).

Another project that I personally think that the Xerces-C distribution
is in bad need of is to merge the different configure.in, configure
and runConfigure scripts etc. for the src, samples and test
directories. Xalan has a much cleaner approach to this, with just one
top directory for generation of all Makefiles.

Just some personal thoughts on this from someone who's been a bit
frustrated with the current make-framework... :)

Regards,
 Martin.
--
Martin Kalen