Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2008/04/13 16:20:47 UTC

Java Service Wrappers unfortunate license change

Hi,

I have contact Leif of JSW but have yet to get a response about the
license change.

Project that start using a commercially liberal license and then
switching long into the life of a project is wrong. If you want to do
the GPL/commercial thing then say so from the start. I have nothing
wrong with this model, but for libraries and tools using a
commercially liberal license is the best way to get community adoption
and then to flip the license I find a little unsavory.

Anyone interested in forking it and maintaining the version that was
not GPL?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

A party which is not afraid of letting culture,
business, and welfare go to ruin completely can
be omnipotent for a while.

-- Jakob Burckhardt

Re: Java Service Wrappers unfortunate license change

Posted by ajbanck <aj...@planet.nl>.
Hi,
What is the status of this, was a (Codehaus) project created?

Thanks,
Arent-Jan

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
I would take the 3.2.3 tag as the svn base and then apply the diff up to
1383 on a branch so we have the tag and the diff to work with.

The license change was at rev 1384 and the 3.2.3 release was at 1235 so
we
may want to also grab 1383 and review the change history in between.  It
looks like there are quite a few changes in there so some of them may be
worth having.

Chris

Posted by Chris Custine <cc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Chris Custine <cc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com>.
I've also had to patch it once - if there is a fork of it I may also use
or contribute.

James

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.