Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk> on 2001/11/29 11:20:38 UTC

MailAddress

I've noticed that local mail addresses dont seem to work, <danny> as
compared to <da...@localhost> I mean.

What I wondered was whether it would be a good idea to make
o.a.Mailet.MailAddress assume "localhost" where no domain part was
presented, or is this an invalid assumption?

As for spaces in quoted local-parts, I've fixed this (not commited it) but
only if it is true that commands must be followed by ':' the patch wont work
if ':' isn't present.

I'll read the rfc, but would be greatful if anyone who knows could express
their opinion.

d.

Re: MailAddress

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
I don't think you want MailAddress to assume localhost so much as have the
MAIL FROM command make that assumption, although I'm not sure the best way
to enforce that.

I have my netfile.log file available since 6/26/01, and grep'ing through it
I see only 1 instance when our mail server received anything besides "mail
from:", and it was from a local developer who was probably manually
telneting in to test James.  This is with 148,306 'mail from' commands
received too, so seems like a reasonable assumption.

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

RE: MailAddress

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
Ok I'm winning the fight with parsing SMTP commands, but I've hit the wall
with AUTH, the following doesn't work..

MAIL FROM:<e=...@example.com> AUTH=e+3Dmc2@example.com

is this supported and I've broken it, knowingly unsupported, or an existing
bug. Any ideas?

And (there's more) what is the situation WRT
<verifyIdentity>true</verifyIdentity>
Does anyone know where this is applied? as I cant seem to find it anywhere..

d.