Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John Smith <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2003/10/31 21:29:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2 & PHP

On this page:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.apache2.php

It says "Do not use Apache 2.0 and PHP in a production
environment neither on Unix nor on Windows." Does
anybody know the specific reason(s)? I've heard that
it's because not all of PHP's libraries are known to
be thread safe. But isn't that a non-issue if using
the prefork MPM?

John

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2 & PHP

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, John Smith wrote:

> On this page:
>
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.apache2.php
>
> It says "Do not use Apache 2.0 and PHP in a production
> environment neither on Unix nor on Windows." Does
> anybody know the specific reason(s)? I've heard that
> it's because not all of PHP's libraries are known to
> be thread safe. But isn't that a non-issue if using
> the prefork MPM?

That is about right.  A while ago there were also some bugs in the
apache2 php module.  But I think those are fixed in the apache2-handler
php module.

I find that comment in the docs very silly myself.  It is innacurate and
makes both projects look bad.  Basically, the php people have said pretty
clearly they just don't care about apache2.

(But I'm not using php at all at the moment, so you should take all my
comments with a grain of salt.)

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2 & PHP

Posted by Saqib Ali <sa...@seagate.com>.
John,

I have have my servers to Apache 2.0.47 and latest PHP. I have some apps
that use PHP heavily. I have encountered no issues as of yet. Everythin
worx fine.

Saqib Ali
---------
http://validate.sf.net <--- XHTML/HTML/DocBook Validator