Posted to user@jclouds.apache.org by Duncan Johnston Watt <du...@cloudsoftcorp.com> on 2014/10/13 00:41:36 UTC

vcloud-director support

Hi. I gather this is a topic on the dev list.

I wanted to raise it on the user list if that's okay with everyone as we've
been talking to Rajesh Vijayan (copied) about VMware taking the lead on
supporting this.

As Rajesh's LinkedIn profile <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rajeshvijayan>
testifies he is the right guy in the right place to help drive this in his
role as Senior Manager R&D -

Currently leading the development of hybrid features, API, and networking
services for VMware's IaaS, vCloud Hybrid Services.

Previously led the development of the next generation vSphere API
infrastructure.

Rajesh indicated when we last met three weeks ago that VMware is warming
towards the idea of assigning resources to support community efforts like
jclouds.

We are seeing an increase in the level interest in support for vcloud
director / vcloud air which could easily justify this but as those of you
on the sharp end like Adrian, Andrea et al know all too well the workload
involved is too great for community to bear this nor should it.

Please chip in and maybe copy users on the dev discussion on this
particular topic.

Best
--
Duncan Johnston-Watt
CEO | Cloudsoft Corporation

Twitter | @duncanjw
Mobile | +44 777 190 2653
Skype | duncan_johnstonwatt
Linkedin | www.linkedin.com/in/duncanjohnstonwatt

message after it was sent.

Re: vcloud-director support

Posted by Andrew Phillips <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Duncan

Thanks for bringing this up! Sorry for the delay in responding - 1.8.1
has been eating up some time of late ;-)

> Please chip in and maybe copy users on the dev discussion on this
> particular topic.

One related topic that has recently been discussed on the dev list [1]
is the overall size and maintenance effort related to the larger APIs.
It would be a very useful learning experience for all, I think, if we
could apply some of the thinking from that here by looking to create a
minimal "walking API skeleton" first and seeing how far users can run
with that.

That should hopefully not only lower the bar to entry quite a lot in
terms of making initial reviews etc. much quicker. It would also allow
us to hopefully get user feedback quickly on which functionality they
are missing, so we can focus our effort on what users are actually
asking for.

@Duncan, Rajesh, jclouds users: Does this approach sound like
something that you think could work?

Regards