Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> on 2002/02/01 21:56:24 UTC

Tomcat 4 / mod_webapp RPMs available...

We've been customizing the src rpm's available at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.1/rpms/

and the mod_webapp rpm at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.2-b2/rpms/

to produce RPM's that our team feels are stable an logically install on
Redhat 7.x. We've done a number of things to them.

In mod_webapp:

We fixed a WebAppMount directive placed in the httpd.conf file that was
incorrect (should have been WebAppDeploy).

We also check if ServerName is set in httpd.conf and attempt to resolve and
add it if it is not.

In the Tomcat RPM's

We moved the install directory back to /var/tomcat/... because some of our
installers for other software and Location definitions in Apache http.conf
require it to be there...We also set the default ports back to that of
tomcat 3.2. This makes sense because we never really saw a reason to run
tomcat 3.2 and 4.0 together on the same machine. We thought if we were
deploying our Software which uses tomcat4.0 it would be the only tomcat
servlet engine running on a machine.

We modified the Permissions on the webapps directory to give tomcat group
users rights to edit files in it, where the /etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat script
didn't provide theses permissions previously.

We altered the sleep hack in /etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat to wait longer because
the tomcat-apache connector needs more time to stop. This makes "restart"
work (although somewhat slower).

We tried to do all this while properly updating all the documentation in the
src and nonarch rpm's.

Our question is:
Would you like these RPM's to make available via Jakarta? For us it would be
beneficial if we could point our administrators/installers to an external
persistent source which we didn't need to maintain for getting the external
packages (like Tomcat4.0) that are required prior to installing our projects
packages.

Mark R. Diggory
Software Engineer
Harvard-MIT Data Center