Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Stefan Fritsch <sf...@sfritsch.de> on 2010/03/01 20:15:24 UTC

Re: svn commit: r917211 - in /httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x: ./ build/ docs/manual/mod/ modules/filters/ os/win32/

On Monday 01 March 2010, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> BTW, what is experimental about it?
>
> a. code not battle hardened
> b. design or even directives are a guess at what might really be
>  needed (I don't know how we mitigate that within a stable branch)
>  c. ???

Mostly a. AFAIK, it hasn't been tested on any really busy site yet.
And there are lots of weird http clients out there. And there may
still be other issues in it, besides the AP_MODE_GETLINE problem I
described in the reply to Gregg L. Smith.

About b: mod_reqtimeout is a big step towards making slowloris-type
DoS attacks more difficult. We will have to see if it is enough.

In any case it is a useful addition to httpd. I have encountered one
case where a buggy client was accidentally DoSing a web server by
creating lots of tcp connections via CONNECT. As it was coming through
a proxy chain belonging to different administrative domains in two
countries, it took quite some time to find out which client was
causing the problem. In that case mod_reqtimeout would have been
really useful as short-term mitigation.