Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/24 18:39:03 UTC

[math] commit messages

Time for my biannual commit message rant / plea.   I just committed
a trivial fix for MATH-1252.  I wanted to make sure there was no
reason that I could not remember that the code was as it was and I
wanted to correctly update the affects version in JIRA.  The commit
logs were essentially worthless.  Lots of commits with nothing more
than a JIRA reference and multiple commits with the same issue
reference.  When I finally found the commit that introduced the bug,
it was a large, multi-file commit with a message saying it was just
fixing findbugs warnings.  I have no problem with large commits to
fix things like missing annotations or other no-runtime-impact
changes; but changes that change what the code does need to be
separated out and documented.  Can we please agree to follow the
standard OSS practice of adding meaningful commit messages to our
commits and separating real code changes from no-impact cleanup?

Double please and thanks in advance!

Phil