Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Gabriel Sidler <si...@teamup.com> on 2002/11/06 15:14:44 UTC

Book addressing Velocity Struts

A friend just pointed me to the fact that Ted Husted's book
"Struts in Action" is out now. It includes one chapter
(chapter 17, 16 pages) on Struts using Velocity as the view
layer.

I read chapter 17 and think that it gives a very good and easy
to follow introduction on using Velocity with Struts as the
controller framework.

More details at http://www.manning.com/husted/index.html
There is also an e-book version for $22.

Ted Husted is an active commiter of the Jakarta Struts project.
He has been very helpful when we initially started the Velocity/Struts
integration.

We so much publicity, we now really have to get the Struts
1.1 integration done... :-)

Gabe

--
Gabriel Sidler
Software Engineer, Eivycom GmbH, Zurich, Switzerland

Re: [velstruts] moving forward... Was: Re: Book addressing Velocity Struts

Posted by Nathan Bubna <na...@esha.com>.
Gabe said:
..
> - Fix parameter parser problem reported by Jeff

parameter parser problem?  did i miss this?

> - Add paging tool contributed by Nathan

if this goes in, i'll try to find some time to set up a decent example app
with it.

> I'll compile a list of open issues integrating yours and mine. Then
> we can set priorities and define madatory/optional features. I'd
> favor not to add many new features for a release 1 but focus on
> Struts 1.1 support and documentation. But let's discuss the details
> when I have the list.

sounds good.

Nathan Bubna
nathan@esha.com

Re: [velstruts] moving forward... Was: Re: Book addressing Velocity Struts

Posted by Gabriel Sidler <si...@teamup.com>.
I moved this thread from the user list here.

I also collected a number of open issues, some overlapping with yours, Nathan.

- Resolve configuration issues. Currently, the resource loader and the logger
   are hard-coded in VVS and overwrite the configuration in Velocity.properties.
   This is inflexible and confusing.

- Struts 1.1 support. As far as I understand it right now, the major item
   is support for multiple application modules within one web application.
   (means multiple configration files, multiple message resources, etc.)

- Documentation
   - Fix current tools documentation. Several files are out of sync.
   - Complete user guide.

- Examples
   - Create a Struts 1.1 example. Take one of the existing Struts 1.1
     examples and replace the view layer with Velocity.
   - Create a blank Velocity-Struts application as the starting point
     for development.

- Fix parameter parser problem reported by Jeff

- Add paging tool contributed by Nathan

- Add improved ToolLoader contributed by Bill

Posted by Nathan Bubna <na...@esha.com>.
Gonzalo said:
> > also, i'd like to see us put together a list of features or changes
people
> > would like to see improved/revisited/added.  i think that would help us
> > focus efforts and hopefully get some others involved.
>
> How about support for floats?

actually, that is more of a matter for Velocity proper, and not really in
the scope of the Velocity-Tools subproject.

Nathan Bubna
nathan@esha.com

RE: [velstruts] moving forward... Was: Re: Book addressing Velocity Struts

Posted by Gonzalo Diethelm <go...@aditiva.com>.
Before this gets out of hand, please notice the smileys!

> How about support for floats?
>
> (ducks and runs, uselessly, and has to face the public outrage...)
>
> With lots of :-), ;-), 8-), 8), ...

Again: this was intended as a joke.

--
Gonzalo A. Diethelm
gonzalo.diethelm@aditiva.com

RE: [velstruts] moving forward... Was: Re: Book addressing Velocity Struts

Posted by Gonzalo Diethelm <go...@vtr.net>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <na...@esha.com>.
Gabe said:
> A friend just pointed me to the fact that Ted Husted's book
> "Struts in Action" is out now. It includes one chapter
> (chapter 17, 16 pages) on Struts using Velocity as the view
> layer.

cool.