Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by vernon <ve...@b2unow.com> on 2002/07/14 00:24:21 UTC

Apache and SSL on Red Hat 7.2

Can anyone point me to a how-to on setting up a site on Apache 1.3.22. I
thought I had it setup right, but I'm getting the error:

Forbidden

Thanks

Re: Apache and SSL on Red Hat 7.2

Posted by Jim Roland <jr...@roland.net>.
"0" for a group will result in apache not being able to read the files.  At
a minimum the permission should be "4" for the files or directories that
apache needs to read.

Posted by Steve Bertrand <ia...@northnetworks.ca>.

Posted by vernon <ve...@b2unow.com>.
I thought that I could just repeat the directives for new Apache Virtual
Domain from the default domain (the one created on the Red Hat install).
Basically I want to create a SSL connection for a new site and I guess I
have to generate a new key, which I don't know how to do.

Thanks

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@swbell.net>.
On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 02:40:40 +1000, Zac Stevens wrote:

>On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 11:31:47AM -0500, Gary Turner wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 17:24:21 -0500, vernon wrote:
<snip>
>> >Forbidden
>> >You don't have permission to access / on this server.

>> Normally, permissions for the directory / are set to 755, i.e.
>> rwxr-xr-x.
>>
>> I am curious as to what Apache would be accessing in the / directory.
>
>The error message refers to the requested URL, not a directory on your
>server.  In other words, the '/' in the message refers to your
>DocumentRoot.

oops, brain fart.  Mindset was Linux admin rather than Apache. :-/  See
sig line.

Posted by Zac Stevens <zt...@cryptocracy.com>.
On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 11:31:47AM -0500, Gary Turner wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 17:24:21 -0500, vernon wrote:
>
> >Can anyone point me to a how-to on setting up a site on Apache 1.3.22. I
> >thought I had it setup right, but I'm getting the error:
> >
> >Forbidden
> >You don't have permission to access / on this server.
> >
> >Thanks
>
> Normally, permissions for the directory / are set to 755, i.e.
> rwxr-xr-x.
>
> I am curious as to what Apache would be accessing in the / directory.

The error message refers to the requested URL, not a directory on your
server.  In other words, the '/' in the message refers to your
DocumentRoot.

HTH,

Zac

Re: Apache and SSL on Red Hat 7.2

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@swbell.net>.

Posted by Jim Roland <jr...@roland.net>.
That error has nothing to do with SSL, it's with permissions on your
directory.  Make sure your directory and parents have "world readable"
ability.  The directory should be readable by the account (or everyone,
either one) that apache runs under.