Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Jason Brock <jb...@redhat.com> on 2019/06/04 20:16:22 UTC

Re: [VOTE]

Hello again everyone,
(Please let me know if this requires a new thread)

Here's the next round of work for comparison, debate, and/or voting.

I'm including the current homepage and layout because there is value in the
work that has been done and each change deserves careful consideration to
make sure that it's worth changing.

Previously established resources:
https://design.jboss.org/camel/website/mockups/images/00-Colorpalette.png
https://design.jboss.org/camel/website/mockups/images/00-Styleguide.png

The Current Homepage (unaltered screenshot)
https://design.jboss.org/camel/website/mockups/images/01-Current-Homepage.png

The Current Homepage with new styles applied
https://design.jboss.org/camel/website/mockups/images/02-CurrentLayouy-NewStyle.png

A new concept for layout and design
https://design.jboss.org/camel/website/mockups/images/03-NewLayout-NewStyle.png

The working file for Adobe XD in case anyone wants to peak under the hood
and tinker a bit.
https://design.jboss.org/camel/website/mockups/working/Camel-Homepage.xd

All the best,

Jason Brock

Web UX Designer, Middleware Engineering Services

Red Hat Austin, Texas <https://www.redhat.com/>

He, Him, & His | jbrock@redhat.com | 512-786-8304
<https://www.redhat.com/>

Re: [VOTE]

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Jason,

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 7:42 PM Jason Brock <jbrockems that the
`docs/getting-started` needs to be converted to
`docs/getting-started/` (notice the slash at the end)@redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hey everyone! There are multiple questions to address.
>
>> Is there a way to generate a css from the styleguide?
>

> Yes, there are tools to do this; Avocode comes to mind. But for now you can see all of the color, type, and size specifications here: https://xd.adobe.com/spec/2ed12a4f-b6bc-4324-6325-5ac0a0d76ab5-58e0/

I think for the color definitions this will be good, I can create a
pull request so we can have a look at the preview to see how that
looks applied to the new website. I'll share that on another thread
when I'm done...

>> Personally I would prefer the orange/yellow approach we currently have in staging.
>

>> My esthetic taste aside, I'm not too fond of teal as the highlight color I prefer the orange/yellow color, similar to what Francois created for the staging website[1], I think we would like to keep the theme of the website closer to the Camel logo and the sand/dune feeling it (should) evoke
>

> The Apache process is still kinda new to me so I'm honestly not sure what to do with this. We can certainly dive into a deeper discussion on colors, but this palette and the alerts were defined in the styleguide vote. Should we revisit the palette and bring it up for a new vote?

I don't think we should be super formal and do another vote on this;
and I do think that your opinion (Jason) as the the person with (as
far as I know) most design experience here should weigh in the most. I
did like the first color scheme when presented, now when it's
presented on the mockup it feels a bit off Camel brand to me --
whatever that is in my subjective subconscious :)

If you agree, Jason, can we do another variation of the first color
scheme with a suitable replacement for the blue color? I think simply
posting the color scheme or mockup of the homepage with that color
scheme to the dev mailing list would be good and we can wait a couple
of days to see if there are any more comments.

>> On the introduction e-mail[2] you mentioned creating information architecture for the website, are you still planning on doing that?
>

> Yes. At this stage, we're still working out basic look and feel, so we shouldn't get bogged down in content details. We're using exactly the same content so that we can make a more accurate 1:1 comparison. It would follow that a cleaner visual aesthetic would probably also influence or inspire a leaner communications approach moving forward. Camel can definitely say more with fewer words, which means redefining what pages are needed, reprioritizing content and calls-to-action, and sometimes deleting entire pages. Sometimes they're just not relevant anymore and may not have the traffic to justify their existence.

Awesome +1

>> We need to work on the wording for the "These projects can leverage..." it's not 100% accurate I think, I think it can also be featured below the news section
>

>> Right.  Same as above, I think we should come up with something for Jason to put in the mockup.
>

> Spot on and then some. This process is not just about putting new paint on an old car. It's about really taking an inventory of what we're doing, why we're doing it, and whether or not it's supporting or hindering the goals of the Project and the Foundation. In order to be successful nothing is above examination, everything must be questioned, and conjecture must take a back seat to evidence.

+1 very well put

> NEXT STEPS:
>
> We need to settle the color issue. This one is mostly an aesthetic issue, but there are usability concerns if alerts blend in so well that they become visually extraneous. All suggestions are welcome, I will only pull a card if a something presents a readability problem for users with visual impairments.
> We need to start talking about content.
>
> Who do I talk to about Analytics?

I think Claus has access to Google Analytics we have on the current
website, Claus?

> Who do I talk to about evaluating and writing content?

I can certainly help here, and I think this is best shared with the
whole dev@, let's see who can help there, best way to get more

> Maybe these need to be separate email threads?

Yeah, would be easier to follow

Thanks Jason!

Sidenote: dev@, we need to provide Jason with feedback, so please take
a look at the designs he's producing, comment, make suggestions and
participate, we're long overdue for a new website, so let's get
everyone involved and help make it the best possible website we can!

zoran
--
Zoran Regvart

Re: [VOTE]

Posted by Jason Brock <jb...@redhat.com>.

Yes, there are tools to do this; Avocode <https://avocode.com/> comes to
mind. But for now you can see all of the color, type, and size
specifications here:
https://xd.adobe.com/spec/2ed12a4f-b6bc-4324-6325-5ac0a0d76ab5-58e0/

*Personally I would prefer the orange/yellow approach we currently have in
> staging.*

*My esthetic taste aside, I'm not too fond of teal as the highlight **color
> I prefer the orange/yellow color, similar to what Francois created for the
> staging website[1], I think we would like to keep the theme of the website
> closer to the Camel logo and the sand/dune feeling it (should) evoke *

The Apache process is still kinda new to me so I'm honestly not sure what
to do with this. We can certainly dive into a deeper discussion on colors,
but this palette and the alerts were defined in the styleguide vote. Should
we revisit the palette and bring it up for a new vote?

*On the introduction e-mail[2] you mentioned creating
> information architecture for the website, are you still planning on doing
> that?*

Yes. At this stage, we're still working out basic look and feel, so we
shouldn't get bogged down in content details. We're using exactly the same
content so that we can make a more accurate 1:1 comparison. It would follow
that a cleaner visual aesthetic would probably also influence or inspire a
leaner communications approach moving forward. Camel can definitely say
more with fewer words, which means redefining what pages are needed,
reprioritizing content and calls-to-action, and sometimes deleting entire
pages. Sometimes they're just not relevant anymore and may not have the
traffic to justify their existence.

*We need to work on the wording for the "These projects can leverage..."
> it's not 100% accurate I think, I think it can also be featured below the
> news section*
>

> *Right.  Same as above, I think we should come up with something for Jason
> to put in the mockup.*

Spot on and then some. This process is not just about putting new paint on
an old car. It's about really taking an inventory of what we're doing, why
we're doing it, and whether or not it's supporting or hindering the goals
of the Project and the Foundation. In order to be successful nothing is
above examination, everything must be questioned, and conjecture must take
a back seat to evidence.

*NEXT STEPS:*

   1. We need to settle the color issue. This one is *mostly* an aesthetic
   issue, but there are usability concerns if alerts blend in so well that
   they become visually extraneous. All suggestions are welcome, I will only
   pull a card if a something presents a readability problem for users with
   visual impairments.
   2. We need to start talking about content.
      1. Who do I talk to about Analytics?
      2. Who do I talk to about evaluating and writing content?
      3. Maybe these need to be separate email threads?

Re: [VOTE]

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [VOTE]

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Personally I would prefer the orange/yellow approach we currently have in staging.

I think we need to discuss also how this style can be applied to the antora generated stuff.

--
Andrea Cosentino
----------------------------------

Re: [VOTE]

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Jason,

Re: [VOTE]

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Hi Jason,

Thanks for your great job!

Is there a way to generate a css from the styleguide ?

Regards,

François
fpapon@apache.org