Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Greg Troxel <gd...@ir.bbn.com> on 2010/01/05 18:10:28 UTC

semi-legit senders in DNSWL and habeas - a hard problem

I've recently gotten multiple spams from linkedin.  (I don't consider
invitations from people I dimly have heard of spam.)  These are
typically invitations that are sent to mailinglists, and occasionally
invitationos from people that I have never ever heard of.

I believe what is going on is that there is some way for people to
upload an entire addressbook and then bulk-spam all those addresses with
invitations.

The problem is that linkedin is getting adjusted scores due to

  RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED
  HABEAS_ACCREDITED_SOI
  RCVD_IN_BSP_TRUSTED

Here is an example (I have the postgis mailinglist in trusted_networks):

  http://www.lexort.com/spam/spam-linkedin.out.txt

At least for my scores, the +2 points for HABEAS and BSP counterbalance
the dnswl.

I have sent mail to abuse@linkedin.com, but have never gotten any response.

I complained to dnswl, and that got linkedin.com moved to MED from HI
(thanks!), but I think MED is still excessive.

Once again I went to returnpath and senderscorecertified's web pages,
and found no link to an email address to report being spammed by one of
their customers.  Can anyone from returnpath explain why this glaring
problem hasn't been fixed, or better yet fix it?  And also remove
linkedin as a certified address, because they are spamming?

This is a general problem, more than linkedin - this has happened with
twitter and faceboook as well.

The problem seems to have multiple related components:

  linkedin is a spam source because they off bulk inviting

  whitelists list them because some of their mail is legitimate

  SA gives negative points to whitelists where most of the hosts on the
  whitelist don't send spam, and those that do send some ham

Clearly some things that should happen are:

  dnswl should drop linkedin, because it doesn't meet "Extremely rare
  spam occurrences, corrected promptly." because 1) this keeps happening
  because the structural problem has not been addressed and 2) there is
  no functioning abuse@.  I don't think linkedin belongs even in LOW,
  but it's fair to be in NONE (legit server, also sends spam).

  returnpath should drop linkedin, because they send spam and the mails
  I referenced above clearly do not meet any definition of opt in

But it's hard for SA to cause these changes.  dnswl clearly has value,
and perhaps part of the difficulty is that it gets used for two reasons:
not blocking connections or greylisting at the MTA level, and spam
filtering.  It's certainly reasonable for linkedin to be in a "don't
outright block" list, but not for it to get a pass from filtering given
the spam that comes out of it.

Does anyone have any ideas of what else might help?

Re: semi-legit senders in DNSWL and habeas - a hard problem

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Tue 05 Jan 2010 09:59:15 PM CET, Michael Scheidell wrote
> and if someone wants to get linkedin email, they should get a
> hotmail or gmail account.

talk about bussiness now ?

--
xpoint http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

Re: semi-legit senders in DNSWL and habeas - a hard problem

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.
On 1/5/10 12:10 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Does anyone have any ideas of what else might help?

we blacklisted linkedin because, despite my personally hitting the web
page that says 'I never want invitations', I still get them.

they are also violating federal can-spam laws since their email is
commercial in nature, does not include full physical address of sender,
and they do not remove you from the list in 10 business days, as
evidenced by their continued spamming.

they should NOT be in dnswl, since even if you block, delay or
quarantine that email, who cares.  its not business critical email, and
if someone wants to get linkedin email, they should get a hotmail or
gmail account.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best Anti-Spam Product 2008, Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

For Information please see http://www.spammertrap.com

Re: semi-legit senders in DNSWL and habeas - a hard problem

Posted by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org>.
On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Michael Scheidell wrote:
: > My suggestion: Setup a link/page that provides for rapid reporting by
: > pasting an offending e-mail without a bunch of form-filling. Just use a
: > captcha to avoid poisoning.... :)
: > - C
: or an industry standard, RFC REQUIRED abuse@ address.

Well, I'm trying to be flexible here, and you have to realize that an
'abuse@' address can be badly abused at large companies. I can actually
see the logic where if it is made too *easy* to forward a complaint to
abuse@ then people adopt the attitude of forwarding *all* the mail
that they don't like, even if it is not really spam, and with no effort to
determine the actual originating system.

I am lucky enough to get very few complaints here, so I can read them all
personally. But even so, the majority of them are people complaining
about spam that merely has *spoofed* our domain name in the From header.
Forcing people to use a web form may be 'non-compliant' to RFC, but it
puts some thought into the process, and makes people think twice about
reporting the one 'invite' out of many that they "didn't want".

But the forms at returnpath are uber unfriendly. They need a quicker
simpler form. Otherwise, as they sit, it honestly looks like they are
trying to discourage reports by making them *too* difficult.

- C

Re: [sa] Re: semi-legit senders in DNSWL and habeas - a hard problem

Posted by "J.D. Falk" <jd...@cybernothing.org>.
On Jan 5, 2010, at 3:52 PM, Michael Scheidell wrote:

> or an industry standard, RFC REQUIRED abuse@ address.
>
> Section 1 of RFC2142

abuse@ works, but it isn't the fastest method for reaching the correct team.

What I think a lot of y'all are missing is that we have more than one product, and (unfortunately) a lot of legacy domain names, so anything sent to abuse@ goes into a general queue which gets sorted later.  Neil and I have been trying to give you the fastest method for resolving issues, but if you'd rather take it slow... *shurg*

One of the things I've noticed about the anti-spam community over the years is that we'll always heap way more abuse on anyone who is willing to listen than we do on the spammers who aren't listening at all.  That's never a good idea, because it chases away people who might otherwise be listening -- or even helping.

(Oh BTW, take a look at the acknowledgements section of RFC 2142.)

--
J.D. Falk <jd...@returnpath.net>
Return Path Inc

Re: [sa] Re: semi-legit senders in DNSWL and habeas - a hard problem

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.
> My suggestion: Setup a link/page that provides for rapid reporting by
> pasting an offending e-mail without a bunch of form-filling. Just use a
> captcha to avoid poisoning.... :)
>
> - C

or an industry standard, RFC REQUIRED abuse@ address.

  Section 1 of RFC2142

     However, if a given service is offered, then the associated mailbox
name(es) *must* be supported, resulting in delivery to a recipient
appropriate for the referenced service or role.

Posted by Christian Brel <br...@copperproductions.co.uk>.
On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 14:06:23 -0800
"jdow" <jd...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> [...]

Oh dear. *plonk*

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Charles Gregory wrote on Wed, 6 Jan 2010 12:20:33 -0500 (EST):

> Because I was getting several M$ Outhouse correspondents complaining that
> my messages (using the 'standard' '>') were 'difficult to read'.
> I could never get them to explain exactly how/why they were difficult to
> read. It was like they were seeing something completely different with
> bits of text missing. Not just word-wrapped..... They were very insistent
> that I top post rather than use (to me) standard quote-reply method...

The reason are not the ">", but the fact that these morons are only used to
the crappy way that Outlook quotes. It makes no difference for them what
character you use, it's the basic way of quoting.

Kai

Re: semi-legit senders in DNSWL and habeas - a hard problem

Posted by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org>.
On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
: The bottom line is that they are still spammers.  Filter 'em.

About that.....

A principle needs to be discussed here: Prohibition does not work.

The way to gain cooperation from 'big business' that *does* want to 'spam'
is to find ways to keep them happy and thinking that they are gainnig
sufficient 'benefit' from this amazing marketing tool called the internet.
And let's be honest with ourselves. Big business is what has *paid* for
this internet, so that you and I can send e-mails around the globe for a
ridiculously small price.

If we 'prohibit' all e-mail advertising, we drive the 'needs' of ALL big
business into an 'underground' that will *struggle* with all its corporate
power to get its spew into every mailbox, and most likely in clever 'off
shore' methods that are even *worse* than what we endure now.

The 'trick' of spam filtering is that there are thousands of people who
are too stupid or gullible to think spam is 'bad' and *welcome* the
advertising of 'legitimate' big business. They WANT this crap. They
willingly and knowingly subscribe to it! And naturally, these are the
people that bug business MOST wants to reach with their spew.

So the principle is, if they both want it, we need to find mechanisms that
HELP that happen, so that they don't fight to get around 'general'
anti-spam filtering, but are content to be given 'special exception' to
get their mail to the people who WANT it. Emphasize, absolutely WANT it.

By cooperating, and doing the job well, we can hope to then gain *their*
cooperation, so that they follow the 'easy path' we give them, and only
'spam' the people who want it.

Now to be fair, there is always the business that wants to see how far
they can 'push' the rules. Every business WANTS to spam, and some of them
try to see if they can do it 'sneakily'. Others try to take advantage of a
'reputation' service to sneak some stuff out. No system is perfect.

But lamely saying that we should ban every last piece of mail through
hotmail or returnpath or any other e-mail service is self-defeating. It
will not result in 'less spam'. It will result in the same spam being
delivered *more* indiscriminately, to YOU and to ME.

No thank you. Let the morons who subscribe to this crap have it. Thanks.

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Tuesday 05 January 2010, Charles Gregory wrote:
>On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, J.D. Falk wrote:
>: On Jan 5, 2010, at 10:10 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>: > Once again I went to returnpath and senderscorecertified's web pages,
>: > and found no link to an email address to report being spammed by one of
>: > their customers.
>:
>: Is the font size for "Contact Us" and "Support" too small?
>
>I keep seeing the complaint, and this response, so I thought I would take
>a look, and indeed, the one form under 'Contact Us' appears to be for
>general inquiries, and not for spam complaints, and includes the
>significant deterrent of requiring large amounts of personal/corporate
>information.
>
>My suggestion: Setup a link/page that provides for rapid reporting by
>pasting an offending e-mail without a bunch of form-filling. Just use a
>captcha to avoid poisoning.... :)
>
>- C

That isn't part of their business model.  These folks only think they are
doing it right.  Some sort of brainwashed & warped thinking they learned at
the Master Bastards Association school I guess.

The bottom line is that they are still spammers.  Filter 'em.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

enhance, v.:
	To tamper with an image, usually to its detriment.

Re: [sa] Re: semi-legit senders in DNSWL and habeas - a hard problem

RE: [SPAM:9.6] Re: [SPAM:9.6] Re: semi-legit senders in DNSWL and habeas - a hard problem

Posted by R-Elists <li...@abbacomm.net>.

> From: Christian Brel
> Sensible folk know people like Return Path will never grow
> the balls to stand up to eBay, they will just take the money
> and smile.

Christian Brel,

are you suggesting that orgs like Return Path buy some body part growth
pharma ?

;->

 - rh

Re: [SPAM:9.6] Re: [SPAM:9.6] Re: semi-legit senders in DNSWL and habeas - a hard problem

Posted by Christian Brel <br...@copperproductions.co.uk>.
On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 14:27:25 +0530
ram <ra...@netcore.co.in> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 07:51 +0000, Christian Brel wrote:
> > On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 14:18:54 -0800
> > "jdow" <jd...@earthlink.net> wrote:

The point is, if you accredit someone as a email professional, and that
sender fails to act professionally - it's the accreditation that is
brought into question, not the spammy sender. After all, the
accrediation is saying - more or less - that the sender is not a
spammer and will act professionally when complaints are raised.

Just because eBay is a big company does not mean it respects peoples
choices and behaves appropriately.

However, this in *not* the place for that discussion. It just starts a
hissy fit between the 'professional spammers' and those that seek to
stop them.

Posted by ram <ra...@netcore.co.in>.

Posted by Christian Brel <br...@copperproductions.co.uk>.

Posted by "J.D. Falk" <jd...@cybernothing.org>.
On Jan 5, 2010, at 6:01 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Thanks.  A link like "report spam" in the top bar, alongside "marketers

I'll pass all of this along to the appropriate folks.

--
J.D. Falk <jd...@returnpath.net>
Return Path Inc

Re: semi-legit senders in DNSWL and habeas - a hard problem

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Jdow wrote on Wed, 6 Jan 2010 10:37:49 -0800:

> I've never received any and I am a member. Every invite has been from
> somebody with a "solid" connection to me.

Well, they seem to provide an option to upload your whole addressbook. And
some email applications have an option to add every incoming or outgoing
address to the addressbook. That combination calls for disaster.
I've recently seen quite a few invites sent to mailing lists ...

Kai

Posted by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org>.
On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Greg Troxel wrote:
: Thanks.  A link like "report spam" in the top bar, alongside "marketers
: and senders" would help.  That should link to a page that gives an email
: address where one can forward the full offending message, and a way to
: lookup IP addresses to see if they are still in the database, like other
: DNSBLS.

I agree with both these ideas. The DNSBL lookup could actually be a 'front
end' to the mechanism, so that people don't send a report if an IP has
already been removed from the whitelist(s). Saves time dealing with old
problems....

: The 'report spam' link should be blindingly obvious.

This needs empahsizing. The people who use it will not be customers
familiar with (and willing to navigate) the whole site. If I find that
returnpath is a problem, it will be quicker and easier to disable the
whitelist rather than fight my way through those forms, so its in
returnpath's own interest to make it easy...

: On the real issue, I find it hard to believe I'm the first one to
: complain about linkedin invitation spam.  Is this really true?

Possibly. Most people accept that this sort of abuse is not a fault WITH
'linkedin', but merely abuse OF 'linkedin' and so they send their abuse
report to linkedin directly.

: Is my supposition that there is some sort of bulk invitation process
: correct? Do your whitelist membership criteria permit this kind of
: misbehavior?

It certainly should not! Any service capable of permitting the submission
of 'mailing lists' and their use for a 'sneaky' custom e-mail, by FREE
accounts should NEVER be whitelisted, or you are just inviting abuse of
the mechanism by eager spammers who want the negative score.

: in which case it's wrong to list linkedin, as the postgis-devel
: mailinglist surely did not agree to get invitations.

Actually, what should really happen, and I'm hoping the guys at returnpath
are listening:

Ask 'linkedin' to setup their servers so that 'invites' are sent by a
dedicated IP address that is NOT used for any other regular meil. Then
REMOVE that IP (or range) from the whitelist, so that it does not gain the
same benefits as personal mail sent from one 'linkedin' member to another.
You still have 'linkedin' as a customer, and their whitelisting is
meaningful.

- Charles

Re: semi-legit senders in DNSWL and habeas - a hard problem

Posted by Greg Troxel <gd...@ir.bbn.com>.
"J.D. Falk" <jd...@cybernothing.org> writes:

> On Jan 5, 2010, at 10:10 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>> Once again I went to returnpath and senderscorecertified's web pages,
>> and found no link to an email address to report being spammed by one of
>> their customers.
>
> Is the font size for "Contact Us" and "Support" too small?
>
> I'll forward your report to the appropriate team.

Thanks.  A link like "report spam" in the top bar, alongside "marketers
and senders" would help.  That should link to a page that gives an email
address where one can forward the full offending message, and a way to
lookup IP addresses to see if they are still in the database, like other
DNSBLS.

'Contact us' is obviously a sales inquiry form, plus as others point out
asks for way too much information.

And the 'support' font size was in fact too small.  I went to the page
in good faith (because the 3.2.5 current sa-update rules give the URL)
trying to find out how to send a complaint, and I didn't figure it out.
Even in the support page it starts out seeming like it's for those who
are returnpath customers.

The 'report spam' link should be blindingly obvious.  The point is that
it should be clear to someone visiting your site that you are as
interested in getting reports of abuse as in signing up new clients.
Right now it's hard to believe that.

On the real issue, I find it hard to believe I'm the first one to
complain about linkedin invitation spam.  Is this really true?  Is my
supposition that there is some sort of bulk invitation process correct?
Do your whitelist membership criteria permit this kind of misbehavior?

Where on your website can I find the definitions of what membership in
your lists means?  I found a pdf under "ISP" about how to query the
zones, but it doesn't really answer the listing criteria question.
It does say

  "Query both for inbox placement as both are whitelists for only
  legitimate permission based senders."

Posted by "J.D. Falk" <jd...@cybernothing.org>.

Re: [SPAM:9.6] semi-legit senders in DNSWL and habeas - a hard problem

Posted by ram <ra...@netcore.co.in>.
On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 14:39 -0500, Bowie Bailey wrote:

> Christian Brel wrote:
> > On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 12:10:28 -0500
> > Greg Troxel <gd...@ir.bbn.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Does anyone have any ideas of what else might help?
> >>

> > #ADD TO THE END OF local.cf at your own risk
> > score RCVD_IN_BSP_TRUSTED 0 4.3 0 4.3
> > score RCVD_IN_SSC_TRUSTED_COI 0 3.7 0 3.7
> > score HABEAS_ACCREDITED_COI 0 8.0 0 8.0
> > score HABEAS_ACCREDITED_SOI 0 4.3 0 4.3
> > score HABEAS_CHECKED 0 0.2 0 0.2
> > score RCVD_IN_DNSWL_LOW 0 1 0 1
> > score RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED 0 4 0 4
> > score RCVD_IN_DNSWL_HI 0 8 0 8

                                                   ^^^^^^^^
Dont your SA-list mails go into spam  .. or do you whitelist them

Re: [SPAM:9.6] semi-legit senders in DNSWL and habeas - a hard problem

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.
Christian Brel wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 12:10:28 -0500
> Greg Troxel <gd...@ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>

>> Does anyone have any ideas of what else might help?
>>

> #ADD TO THE END OF local.cf at your own risk
> score RCVD_IN_BSP_TRUSTED 0 4.3 0 4.3
> score RCVD_IN_SSC_TRUSTED_COI 0 3.7 0 3.7
> score HABEAS_ACCREDITED_COI 0 8.0 0 8.0
> score HABEAS_ACCREDITED_SOI 0 4.3 0 4.3
> score HABEAS_CHECKED 0 0.2 0 0.2
> score RCVD_IN_DNSWL_LOW 0 1 0 1
> score RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED 0 4 0 4
> score RCVD_IN_DNSWL_HI 0 8 0 8
> score RCVD_IN_IADB_VOUCHED 0 2.2 0 2.2
> score RCVD_IN_IADB_DOPTIN 0 4 0 4
> score RCVD_IN_IADB_ML_DOPTIN 0 6 0 6
> score HASHCASH_20 0.500
> score HASHCASH_21 0.700
> score HASHCASH_22 1.000
> score HASHCASH_23 2.000
> score HASHCASH_24 3.000
> score HASHCASH_25 4.000
> score HASHCASH_HIGH 5.000

It should be pointed out that the result of this change is to give a
positive score to a bunch of whitelists (the opposite of their intended
use).  I'm not going to enter the argument over whether this is a good
idea or not, but just make sure you know what you are doing before you
blindly apply these score changes.

--
Bowie

Re: [SPAM:9.6] semi-legit senders in DNSWL and habeas - a hard problem

Posted by Christian Brel <br...@copperproductions.co.uk>.